Help with phono stage

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Re: Help with phono stage

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Thanks for all of help. Only need mm as no intention of using mc again also just gone back to basik lvx arm with that in mind. Looked at nva phono on ebay and i didn't feel comfortable with it being stored for 20odd years and untested, as i neither have the knowledge or skill to fix it if something is wrong, same with modding nva phono 1, thanks DQ. I think at the moment it comes down to either the longdog, thanks ant, or the mf lps, thanks classicrock. Determined if I can to stay within budget.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As you've got. Mm, the only one I would buy would be the long dog.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Thanks DQ and Ant, just pressed the "button" on the longdog. I await in great anticipation :grin:

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Well "longdog" arrived today, superb service and packaging. Ice cold though so put in listening room for a couple of hours to warm up, connected it up and left for a while longer. So far played 4/5 albums and i will say it sounds good, far more detail than my previous amps phono stages, more space ,detail and less background noise, if that makes any sense. Bit lacking in bass and recessed midrange but i would assume it needs time. Overall very happy for £200 quid.
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:20 pm)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

In my experience with that stage the bass will come on song fairly quickly and it opens out nicely.
Shouldnt take long
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

You were right Ant didn't take long at all. The longdog, ap30 and cubetts made friends straight away and just played music, well to my ears anyway. Got through quit a few albums last night, which reminds, me must clear up the albums spread about the room! To say I'm happy with this little setup is a bit of an understatement. For the total outlay of amp, phono, speakers and cables I'm pretty sure it would be hard to better for twice the amount, imo. So thanks everyone for advise and thanks R.D. for making it possible. :grin: :grin:
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
karatestu (Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 am)