Stereo to mono

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Stereo to mono

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes,
The difference between a true mono recording, played through one speaker and a summed stereo record through the same speaker is not a subtle one. Whether this issue with summed stereo is liveable with long term is open to question. Stereo records will play in mono, so they are in the loosest sense compatible with a mono system, but bits get cancelled out in the summing process and it’s those losses that need to be got around somehow. Don’t know how though. Not yet anyway.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Stereo to mono

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Some months back I was part of a team working on getting live streaming capability for our church. We also asked the bidders to quote for upgrades to the sound system. One of them suggested a multi speaker mono array because "its long and narrow and you don't benefit from Stereo". Well in one respect he was right, with a live band you don't benefit because, obviously, you have the band. Unfortunately, with recorded music you benefit greatly and video clips likewise.

Part of the design of the microgroove stereo system is that the records can be played with mono cartridges. I can't, nearly 50 years on from reading about it, remember exactly how that was to be achieved but as the first record player I had was mono it must have worked reasonably well.