Houdini

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Houdini

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:12 pm Actually, I missed an important point.

DQ is saying that £300 is expensive, and then compares it to changing the wife. :lol:

Never done it myself, but I hear it is not cheap....
When did I say it was expensive. Don't put words in my mouth. At the time I was unable to talk I relied on my wife, you weren't in the running. I'm now able to speak so I need you even less.

If I were you I'd concentrate on what you say as most of it is suspect.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Well it would seem that the objective has been achieved .

Daniel Quinn

Ordinaryman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:17 pm "What's in an enzyme" 1st post , DQ ?
Quite simple, a enzyme based record cleaner may make my hifi enjoyment better not different.

The houdini will not.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
TheMarlin (Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:24 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

I question not that but ones ability to have there interest "piqued" and yet "inquisitive" represents something so different to them. we all read understand the written word differently, some times, just sometimes imo we are far to quick to dismiss that which doesn't comply with our point of view. By the way why is better not different?

Daniel Quinn

Most of hifi relies on different being better. It is not. It is different.

If you fall in to the trap you are destined to be chasing ephemera forever.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 3):
Geoff.R.G (Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:24 pm) • savvypaul (Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm) • karatestu (Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:02 pm)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm Most of hifi relies on different being better. It is not. It is different.

If you fall in to the trap you are destined to be chasing ephemera forever.
Hi-Fi moves forward very slowly, the occasional designer has a brilliant idea and everybody moves a square forwards, sometimes the idea was actually with the intention of improving sound quality. Many an improvement has come from improved components devised for an entirely different field. Unfortunately engineers have a tendency to want to measure things, we're like that, but quality isn't something that can be measured but it can be perceived.

Different is fine as long as it is "good different" if it isn't you go back to what you had.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm) • karatestu (Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:03 pm) • NSNO2021 (Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:12 pm)

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

then why do you or I peruse it. I understand that the question of "piqued" and "inquisitive" is difficult to explain imo. As for HIFI related to "ephemera" I really don't understand. Neither do I give a rats behind about HIFI. Just the music for me thanks
These users thanked the author Ordinaryman for the post:
CaterhamKev (Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:52 am)

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:45 pm
CaterhamKev wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:12 pm Actually, I missed an important point.

DQ is saying that £300 is expensive, and then compares it to changing the wife. :lol:

Never done it myself, but I hear it is not cheap....
When did I say it was expensive. Don't put words in my mouth. At the time I was unable to talk I relied on my wife, you weren't in the running. I'm now able to speak so I need you even less.

If I were you I'd concentrate on what you say as most of it is suspect.
We may not see eye to eye, but I am happy you are recovering. I am also glad you don't need me as Toulouse to Preston is one hell of a drive. Add in the two week quarantine, and it would be a nightmare.

You won't ever know if what I say is suspect until you take a leap of faith and try one for yourself, or wait and see a few more reviews.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ordinaryman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm Neither do I give a rats behind about HIFI. Just the music for me thanks
In which case you had better invest in a box at the Albert Hall, even there people have spent a small, or should that be large, fortune on improving the sound. The music may be the reason for Hi-Fi but I am fairly sure you chose your system because the music sounded good.

As someone who hasn't bought any new Hi-Fi kit in 25 years I can say that, for me, it really is about the music now but it wasn't always that way. As it happens I am just as happy listening to music from an iPod through a headset as I am using the main system. I spend some of my time working with live sound, that means I have some small understanding of how the recordings we use are made. My attitude to Hi-Fi is certainly different now.

I have previously suggested that listening to live music should be important, I am clearly not alone as we have a board dedicated to reviews of live performances.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Rats Behind... I have had in my earlier years the pleasure of hearing quite a bit of live music. From the audience and the stage. I have been listening to music for as long as I can remember, not always via hifi. Like many I tried to get the best way of repeating that experience, never quite did, whilst some got reasonably close, nothing really did it for me. I have been to the Albert Hall on many occasions and also stood next to 100watt stacked marshals on stage, I don't believe either comes under the heading of hifi , music yes.
For a short while I tried the slippery pole of hifi all that happened after the initial buzz and depletion of my bank account was that I was now listening to the boxes, not the music. So back to basics for me. As a younger man I never understood how opera or jazz could be considered to be music and said so, was that out of ignorance or youth? I don't know, like to think its the latter! All I'm saying I suppose is don't dismiss anything out of hand until YOU have heard it. :|