Simplicity

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Simplicity

Unread post by karatestu »

The good Doctor always stressed keep it simple. Taken to the extreme that would be a single source, integrated amp with phono stage built in (if needed) and single driver full range speakers. Plus cables of course.

Personally I could live with that..........but I don't have to :grin: . I don't want to be vinyl only as on weekend Disco nights ( :guiness; )I can see tragedy by broken cartridge or LP dropped on the floor. Plus half of my collection is on CD and I don't currently do file based music.

My set up just seems to breed power supplies, regulators, amplifiers and speaker drive units. So I have broken one of my rules in life.....simplicity. It doesn't seem to apply to hifi whereas I easily manage to do it in other areas. Not content with two NVA amplifier boards I got Richard to sell me another four. Not content with two doped 12 inchers I had to have another two and go isobaric. Not content with a single tweeter per channel I had to add another three. Not content with one doped 5 inch mid bass I had to add another. And I haven't even finished there, I have plans to add another one or two per channel. :naughty:

There is no hope for me, I have a serious problem although at least I recognise it. However, one part of hifi where there is still simplicity for me is crossovers, or lack of. It would seem I will go to any length to erradicate them. Got rid of the padding resistor on the tweeter (s) and even tried one full range without any capacitor to see what would happen. It was an awful distorted mess (of course) but I had to hear it for myself. What if I could have so many tweeters that the work was so shared out that it could be done. I don't think I can afford so many visaton tweeters. So I could put the filter before the power amp but what am I really achieving apart from doing it at the smaller line level where caps can be polystyrene. No protection for the tweeters though - just think of having to replace a multitude of them.

Do you like it simple ? Maybe like me you do but things have still got out of hand :o
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Simplicity

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Richard was indeed into simplicity but he acknowledged that powering each gain stage of a a phono pre-amp independently had sonic benefits. That does not negate simplicity, the gain stages are as simple as possible.

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Simplicity

Unread post by karatestu »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm Richard was indeed into simplicity but he acknowledged that powering each gain stage of a a phono pre-amp independently had sonic benefits. That does not negate simplicity, the gain stages are as simple as possible.
Of course simplicity of the circuit is what I should have thought of :roll: What a plonker I am. System simplicity is a different matter altogether.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:32 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE