New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: New £1k Phono Stage - recommendations

Unread post by karatestu »

How about a NVA Phono 1 ? :grin: Not as good as a two granted, but one box. Or you could wait for my world beating phono stage to come out (Cow Clap Audio).

Stu
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:17 pm Or you could wait for my world beating phono stage to come out (Cow Clap Audio).

Stu
Beats Cow Pat Audio, I guess. ;)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I didn't realise cows could clap,
What have you been teaching them on that farm of yours stu? :mrgreen:
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:02 pm I didn't realise cows could clap,
What have you been teaching them on that farm of yours stu? :mrgreen:
:grin: :grin: :grin:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/de ... wclap

Also, have you ever heard a cow's poo hitting the cold hard concrete floor of a milking parlour ? It sounds very clap like :lol: :lol:

Sorry OP for going OT.
DIY FREE ZONE

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

If I was in your position and really wanting to try something else, as mentioned earlier I would try a Tron Convergence. I have not heard one myself so only going on what I have read etc.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

TroutFisher wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:10 pm
I would recommend the Longdog Audio MCJ3 Hybrid Valve MC Phono Stage. The builder and proprietor of Longdog Audio is member here, Lurcher300b. Slightly above your budget but very much a giant killer Phono Stage, the £1400 is excellent value for money and the sound is first class. You should be able to home demo before committing to buy.

https://www.longdogaudio.com/product/ld ... ono-stage/
I think you owe it to yourself to audition this very fine phono stage. I can only echo Trout Fishers advice.

You will not be disappointed.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

You will find lots of recommendations on forums. Most are based on who is friends with who. Of course, it's nice to be nice to your friends but you should use your own ears and 'play the field' before committing. Listen to units in your own system alongside your existing unit for at least 14 days. Satisfy yourself that what you're hearing is actually better rather than just a different flavour.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 am You could have longer umbilicals fitted to your P2 to aid placement.

When we relaunch the phono stages, we are looking at a single power supply box with 2 x 120va transformers - this will effectively give you the specification of the old P2 with second supply but in 2 boxes instead of 3.

For those looking for fewer boxes, the A60+ is excellent. We will also be reintroducing integrated amplifiers next year.

There are some phono stage bake-off write-ups in the archives.
Savvy, would there be any trade-in value of the two PSU's against your new, single box when it's introduced? Currently (no pun intended :) ) the two PSU's are located side-by-side on the shelf above my Rega Elicit integrated, and below my CDP in the fire place (fire removed); the head unit is at the side of the chimney breast, behind my speakers, on extension leads made up with Sommer LLX cables, so about as far away from PSU interference as possible. Trouble is, with the various umbilicals and such-like there's a right bird's nest of cabling that looks really unsightly. I'd like something that would lend itself to being a bit tidier.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Berty bass wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:57 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 am You could have longer umbilicals fitted to your P2 to aid placement.

When we relaunch the phono stages, we are looking at a single power supply box with 2 x 120va transformers - this will effectively give you the specification of the old P2 with second supply but in 2 boxes instead of 3.

For those looking for fewer boxes, the A60+ is excellent. We will also be reintroducing integrated amplifiers next year.

There are some phono stage bake-off write-ups in the archives.
Savvy, would there be any trade-in value of the two PSU's against your new, single box when it's introduced? Currently (no pun intended :) ) the two PSU's are located side-by-side on the shelf above my Rega Elicit integrated, and below my CDP in the fire place (fire removed); the head unit is at the side of the chimney breast, behind my speakers, on extension leads made up with Sommer LLX cables, so about as far away from PSU interference as possible. Trouble is, with the various umbilicals and such-like there's a right bird's nest of cabling that looks really unsightly. I'd like something that would lend itself to being a bit tidier.
Not part of the trade-in scheme, as such. We could fit 2 sets of the new Toroidy transformers and Vishay capacitors into one of your existing PSU cases. You'd then be able to sell your other PSU, separately. The head unit of the P2 can usually sit happily next to your turntable (on the opposite side to the t/t motor).
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:25 pm Not part of the trade-in scheme, as such. We could fit 2 sets of the new Toroidy transformers and Vishay capacitors into one of your existing PSU cases. You'd then be able to sell your other PSU, separately. The head unit of the P2 can usually sit happily next to your turntable (on the opposite side to the t/t motor).
Is that an option that is available now, or one that will not be available until you introduce the single box, dual PSU option next year? If the former perhaps you can PM me costs and I can chew over it? Thanks.