New Turntable wanted

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: New Turntable wanted

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Doug Brady is my nearest hi-fi dealer and as such I bought a lot of my early kit from Doug. I think you will find if it's a bearing issue Dougs chaps will send it on to True Point, True Point are the last word in all things Pink Triangle and being based on the Wirral relatively close to Doug's emporium
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
antonio66 (Fri May 08, 2020 2:14 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

You are aware that Uncle Doug has retired and the shop has been taken over and re-rogered. It looks good but the staff have changed with the exception of Dan who has been there since the year dot (looks like since he left school - wish I looked as good!).
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and help on this thread, it's been very enjoyable for me looking at different tt's again and reading up on them. It would be so easy to go well over budget, just look at what's out there and at good prices too. Today I've spoken to Ant at BTE and he has a Lenco, his teardrop style one for those that have followed any of his threads, and he has been kind enough to let me borrow it and see how I get on. He just has to make up a Rega armboard, which he told me he has been promising to do for a while :whistle: I will hopefully collect it next week. I will keep the PT and maybe one day take it to True Point and have them service it. I will of course update this thread with my thoughts on the Lenco.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
savvypaul (Fri May 08, 2020 5:31 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:34 pm You are aware that Uncle Doug has retired and the shop has been taken over and re-rogered. It looks good but the staff have changed with the exception of Dan who has been there since the year dot (looks like since he left school - wish I looked as good!).
Given how old the diminutive Doug was when I was buying my Rega Planar 3 and Yamaha tape deck back in the late 70s it's difficult to imagine he is still with us. To be candid I didn't find him to be the most welcoming of people, he only seemed to be interested if you had a ton of money to throw at him.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

antonio66
Great Britain

"Only made you feel welcome if you had a ton of money to throw at him"

Weren't all hifi dealers the same back then.

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

Doug retired several years ago and the shop is actually much better now for it IMHO. New owners have invested in the shop and the actual guys that work there are a genuine bunch.... Andy their tech is ex-Pink Triangle and I have never had anything but great service from him and the team. In my experience he has a delicate touch with Pink Triangle turntables that is not easily found. I have used True Point for a new bearing and that was really good but when I asked them for a new armboard it wasn’t quite accurate enough and I had to get one from Arthur in the end which took a while. Dealers have to make a profit as does True Point - and of course you have the choice to use them or not. I wish the OP well on his turntable adventures!
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post (total 2):
NSNO2021 (Fri May 08, 2020 10:41 pm) • antonio66 (Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 am)
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Copperblue wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 pm Doug retired several years ago and the shop is actually much better now for it IMHO. New owners have invested in the shop and the actual guys that work there are a genuine bunch.... Andy their tech is ex-Pink Triangle and I have never had anything but great service from him and the team. In my experience he has a delicate touch with Pink Triangle turntables that is not easily found. I have used True Point for a new bearing and that was really good but when I asked them for a new armboard it wasn’t quite accurate enough and I had to get one from Arthur in the end which took a while. Dealers have to make a profit as does True Point - and of course you have the choice to use them or not. I wish the OP well on his turntable adventures!
Sounds promising and thanks for the update 👍 ps Arthur and fast anything have to the best of my knowledge never met 😉
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
Copperblue (Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:57 pm "Only made you feel welcome if you had a ton of money to throw at him"

Weren't all hifi dealers the same back then.
You might well be right on that score, because the Linn dealer in Stockton Heath wasn't exactly chatty, ditto the place near Hoole on the road in to Chester who took £500 off me and then closed the business two weeks later and did a runner with my money.

antonio66
Great Britain

Picked up the Lenco yesterday from Ant. He kindly sold me his Audiomods arm and fitted it to save me the trouble. I had a busy day yesterday, but did get the cartridge fitted, and listened for about 5 mins. Will have a more extended listen today, but enjoyed what I heard yesterday.
Thanks Ant.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
savvypaul (Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Listened to a couple of albums already this morning, (KD Lang - Ingenue and Alison Krauss + Union Station - So Long So Wrong). What can I say, propulsive might be a starting point. Bass is very good and generally a little richer sounding than my PT with 250 AO. I have to say thoroughly enjoying it so far. Purchased this yesterday https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1pcs-Flexi ... 2749.l2648 so I can use the strobe supplied with the Lenco.