What's your opinion on room correction?

All general audio posts go here.

My general opinion on room correction is that:

It's essential. It's not really high fidelity unless you have room correction.
No votes
It's very useful. It's the best addition to the world of hi-fi in the last 20 years.
5%
It's good, if you can afford it.
5%
It depends. Some rooms and systems benefit from it. For others it's not worth bothering with.
33%
It's generally a bad thing.
10%
It's the work of the devil.
5%
I have no particular opinion on it.
43%

Total votes: 21

antonio66
Great Britain

Re: What's your opinion on room correction?

Unread post by antonio66 »

But you'll never know until you try it in your own room Stu.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Hello Dave. I agree with what you say but i really can't be bothered.

All the best to you.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Docfoster wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 pm And are they really “room and system” correctors? As I assume they have no knowledge of to what extent it’s the system that’s causing the peaks and troughs and to what extent it’s the room.
The systems usually come with a mike and use a sweep tone to detect in room frequency anomalies which they then automatically compensate for. Mostly in bass frequencies.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:51 am
Docfoster wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 pm And are they really “room and system” correctors? As I assume they have no knowledge of to what extent it’s the system that’s causing the peaks and troughs and to what extent it’s the room.
The systems usually come with a mike and use a sweep tone to detect in room frequency anomalies which they then automatically compensate for. Mostly in bass frequencies.
As already stated, the correction is only going to be "right" for where the mic is situated. Preferably the mic would be positioned where the listener's head would be in normal listening. Even then the listener will be having an effect on the sound and the person operating the system during set-up will have an effect too, because they won't be in the listening position.

As has been said, in a domestic environment, repositioning the speakers and/or furniture is likely to be as effective as an expensive DSP (Digital Signal Processing) system but markedly cheaper. Unless there is some reason why speaker positioning and furnishing cannot be optimised I wouldn't consider any form of DSP simply because the correction comes at a cost in terms of sound quality, in my view you fix one problem in exchange for another one.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm) • NSNO2021 (Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:33 am)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

karatestu wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:49 am Hello Dave. I agree with what you say but i really can't be bothered.

All the best to you.
I don't think I would be bothered, especially if living on my own and with Cubes as speakers. A guy came round to install my brother's Roon server and brought with him stuff to take measurements, we moved the speakers to improve the bass response, took measurements again and made a slight adjustment using Roon eq.

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

I'd like to try out room correction to hear before and after results.

Never really been an issue for me though as I've always tended to have small bookshelf speakers as I generally prefer the presentation of smaller speakers
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:56 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:51 am
As already stated, the correction is only going to be "right" for where the mic is situated. Preferably the mic would be positioned where the listener's head would be in normal listening. Even then the listener will be having an effect on the sound and the person operating the system during set-up will have an effect too, because they won't be in the listening position.

As has been said, in a domestic environment, repositioning the speakers and/or furniture is likely to be as effective as an expensive DSP (Digital Signal Processing) system but markedly cheaper. Unless there is some reason why speaker positioning and furnishing cannot be optimised I wouldn't consider any form of DSP simply because the correction comes at a cost in terms of sound quality, in my view you fix one problem in exchange for another one.
Why should it come with a cost to SQ?

Rather sweeping statement to make if I may say so.

I’ve no horse in the race either way, however I did run fully active OB’s for years, in various iterations, using DSP. I didn’t notice any degradation. I’ve also heard a pair of speakers run with their conventional crossover and then with a DSP unit, didn’t cause any problems to my ears. Admittedly this was at an Owston, so not the best place for critical listening.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

My view is that any additional complexity always comes at a cost to SQ. If you are lucky, then the effect may be barely audible. I don't see that as a sweeping statement, but a statement of principle.

I will agree that adding complexity to treat the symptoms of a problem may be better than living with the problem, untreated. BUT it is always better to root out the problem, altogether.

I'm not surprised that DSP is becoming a big thing. The sellers have put a lot of sophisticated marketing into convincing you that it is the 'miracle cure'. It isn't. It is a (very expensive) last resort. If your amplifiers are not stuffed full of unnecessary capacitors and filters and your speakers are not burdened with music-killing high order crossovers then you won't need to spend fortunes on graphic equalizers.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Those who say filters don't effect the sound must listen for different things than me.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:01 pm Those who say filters don't effect the sound must listen for different things than me.
What about those who say that "reflections" from the room, and within the speaker cabinet, colour the sound ?