Who do you listen to

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Who do you listen to

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

slinger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 pm
....Those of us who hate all forms of snobbery also need to stick together.
I’ll second that!

In terms of full range drivers, There are better ones than the Fanes, eg Supravoxes, for example the 215 Signature Bicone Classic at around 350€ each, to buy. However the Fane 12-250TC tri-cone full-range driver will do 99.9% of what the Supravoxes will do, and for £70 each. Thus to a pensioner like me the Fanes are a no-brainer in the sound-per-pound arena. They do need a bit of ‘grille engineering’ to get the best out of them, but suitably tamed they are a steal at the price. I’ve heard Supravox full-rangers and they are undeniably excellent sounding, but not such that I would consider paying out 5 times the cost of the Fanes for them, even if I could afford it.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Don't worry Steve you are in good company. Most of the mid bass drivers in mine and NVA speakers are PA drivers :lol: In fact the last two 5 inchers i bought were less than £10 each :lol: I don't particularly care about what they sound like out of the box because when they are doped they sound good. The last two i bought only got two coats of plastidip initially and i listened to them for quite a while like that.

Snobbery happens i'm affraid (especially oninternet hifi forums). Best thing is to just avoid such people and congregate with people like yourself.

:guiness; :guiness; :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes, its best to hang around with like minded individuals.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 pm
slinger wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 pm
....Those of us who hate all forms of snobbery also need to stick together.
I’ll second that!

In terms of full range drivers, There are better ones than the Fanes, eg Supravoxes, for example the 215 Signature Bicone Classic at around 350€ each, to buy. However the Fane 12-250TC tri-cone full-range driver will do 99.9% of what the Supravoxes will do, and for £70 each. Thus to a pensioner like me the Fanes are a no-brainer in the sound-per-pound arena. They do need a bit of ‘grille engineering’ to get the best out of them, but suitably tamed they are a steal at the price. I’ve heard Supravox full-rangers and they are undeniably excellent sounding, but not such that I would consider paying out 5 times the cost of the Fanes for them, even if I could afford it.
Your DIY'dFane full range speakers offer really nice sound quality for the time and money you spent on them.
savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm One of the best pair of speakers I've ever heard were homemade. They required compromises that meant that they could not be commercially sold, but they sounded better than the commercially made speakers.

I suspect Steve's OTL amplifier is in the same category...
Are you referring to Steve57's red and black 2 part semi ported semi open baffle speakers?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm One of the best pair of speakers I've ever heard were homemade. They required compromises that meant that they could not be commercially sold, but they sounded better than the commercially made speakers.

Are you referring to Steve57's red and black 2 part semi ported semi open baffle speakers?
I am...I'd have much rather have taken them home than the £75k Maxonics
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Coming back to the opening post, some of the people I've listened to and followed their advice have been:

Tom Brennan on Audio Asylum:
https://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.m ... &forum=hug
For alerting me to classic American high efficincy speakers. It was because of him that I bought a pair of EV Sentry III's.

TonyL of pfm and Richard Dunn for alerting me to the fact that there are alternatives to the LP12. Because of them I bought an EMT 930. Which led me on to an EMT 950.

Arthur Salvatore http://www.high-endaudio.com/. Bought a Coincident 300b Frankenstein prototype because of him. Great amp - with the right speakers.

Lampizator. http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REF ... a1549.html. Bought a Marantz CD48 for £20 and Philips CD 753 for £30 because of him.

This website https://audio-heritage.jp/ for alerting me to some equipment that cost more than a million yen when new that could be bought for less than £500 on ebay.

Various posters for turning me on to the Korneff (clone) SET amplifier https://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.m ... xt=korneff
Great amplifier with the right speakers and source. My party trick is to connect my CD player direct to this power amp direct to my EV Sentry III's. No pre-amp. No volume control. It works because of a lack of gain in this 2 watt SET. It works really well, if a little bit on the loud side for most CD's because less is more.

Lindsayt
Nauru

savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 pm

I'm confident that they, or a minor variation of them could be made commercially. Retail price would be about £15k. They do put speakers like the Maxonics and Linn Akubariks to shame.

On the Maxonics, it was interesting to hear what Richard Dunn said to me about them compared to the EV Sentry III's. :whistle:

After hearing Steve57's speakers and attending Owston for the last couple of years I've decided that I'm done with buying "turnkey" speakers.
The next speakers that I'll be trying, if I can every justify the £1500 cost will be DIY'd 4 way high efficiency Frankenstein speakers made from cherry picked body parts of various classic US speakers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 pm

I'm confident that they, or a minor variation of them could be made commercially. Retail price would be about £15k. They do put speakers like the Maxonics and Linn Akubariks to shame.

On the Maxonics, it was interesting to hear what Richard Dunn said to me about them compared to the EV Sentry III's. :whistle:

After hearing Steve57's speakers and attending Owston for the last couple of years I've decided that I'm done with buying "turnkey" speakers.
The next speakers that I'll be trying, if I can every justify the £1500 cost will be DIY'd 4 way high efficiency Frankenstein speakers made from cherry picked body parts of various classic US speakers.
Excellent. I'd love to hear those, as and when you go for it.

I will try to get to Owston, this year, too.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

karatestu wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 pm
TheMadMick wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm
Stu - think yourself lucky, at my elderly years I'm struggling to 10kHz in one ear and just over 6 in the other. Still enjoy music and hear things others don't. Work with what you have and enjoy yourself. Hope the hand continues to improve and the back gets into a sensible state very soon.
I think you will still have a good enough sense of what music is all about even with a limit of 10 KHz. The difference between the ears must be odd though Mick ? Did something happen or is it just old age
Stu

Thanks for your concern. I have Meniere's disease. It affects one ear usually reducing frequency response, inducing a feeling of pressure behind my ear (hypertusis?) and inducing tinnitus. It is incurable unfortunately.

The tinnitus isn't actually a problem as I've had it since (premature) birth and I've never known anything else. It's just a bit worse in my left ear. To even things up I sit a little closer to the left speaker - not a lot and my brain seems to cope.

I have been prescribed a Serc 16 (Betahistine hydrochloride) that works wonders for me quickly when I have an attack. Fortunately, I have been quite stable for some years. Other than that, it's old age. No cure for that either unless you know different!
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).