Linn - is the end near?

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Linn - is the end near?

Unread post by slinger »

Can we stop telling other people what they did, or didn't mean, and what they are or are not allowed to say, please chaps.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:48 am
Fretless wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:42 am Yes, the Axis. Some preferred it to the LP12.

I recall someone I worked with thirty years ago had one of these and taped albums for me. They sounded good but the recordings I made from my Rega Planar 3 at home sounded better.
I thought it was so obvious that there were variables involved I did not mention it. Seems I was wrong. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

At risk of annoyance, first can you explain to me what "this" means? (Your post) I have asked once. As for the rest , I thought this was an open forum, as far as I can see nobody's telling anyone what they might think,did,or didn't mean, or are allowed to say. interested in how you come to that conclusion?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

On social platforms, 'this', on it's own below a quote, usually indicates complete agreement...as in 'this is what I would say'.

Like '+1' but somewhat more emphatic...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 pm At risk of annoyance, first can you explain to me what "this" means? (Your post) I have asked once. As for the rest , I thought this was an open forum, as far as I can see nobody's telling anyone what they might think,did,or didn't mean, or are allowed to say. interested in how you come to that conclusion?
It was a lot quicker than typing something like "Yes, I agree, we should be concerned about people losing their job rather than grinding old, rusty axes." However, you've now made me type it anyway. :mrgreen:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:51 pm
scotty38 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 pm
CN211276 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:46 pm You are not clear about what you are asking.

I have made it perfectly clear that recordings on my Denon cassette deck from my Rega Planar 3 on TDK SA. Sounded better than recordings from the Linn Axis using the same tape. I cannot remember what tape deck was in the Axis system, it was thirty years ago.
I am not disputing that as a fact, what I am disputing is how you managed to determine the Rega was better than the Linn when there were different components in each chain.

I will save you the aggravation of having to answer by saying you can’t or rather you couldn’t.
Where did I say the Rega was better than the Linn?
Just to lay this argument to rest and not doubting the tape results reported I did a direct comparison of Rega planar 3 and Linn Axis / Basic Plus in 1988. The Axis was clearly better though I suspect the Rega RB300 is a far better arm having later used one with a Michell deck. I also prefered the Axis (Basic plus) to an Lp12 with the same arm.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

slinger wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:23 pm
Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:41 pm At risk of annoyance, first can you explain to me what "this" means? (Your post) I have asked once. As for the rest , I thought this was an open forum, as far as I can see nobody's telling anyone what they might think,did,or didn't mean, or are allowed to say. interested in how you come to that conclusion?
It was a lot quicker than typing something like "Yes, I agree, we should be concerned about people losing their job rather than grinding old, rusty axes." However, you've now made me type it anyway. :mrgreen:
Like the 100 odd people that lost their jobs working for NVA in the 1990's because it wasn't a level playing field in the UK hi-fi market?

Or the people that worked for Pink Triangle that lost their jobs?

The employment situation in the UK is bouyant now.
Anyone looking for work in the UK in 2019 or 2020 can do so with a lot of optimism.

I wasn't concerned when I lost my job in Decmeber 2018. I can't really get concerned about anyone else losing their job now.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:28 am
slinger wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:23 pm
Like the 100 odd people that lost their jobs working for NVA in the 1990's because it wasn't a level playing field in the UK hi-fi market?

Or the people that worked for Pink Triangle that lost their jobs?

The employment situation in the UK is bouyant now.
Anyone looking for work in the UK in 2019 or 2020 can do so with a lot of optimism.

I wasn't concerned when I lost my job in Decmeber 2018. I can't really get concerned about anyone else losing their job now.
Norman Tebbit?
As I live and breathe!
What the ‘eck are you doing on a hifi forum?
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Docfoster, if you have a different perspective on the current UK job market to me, that's fair enough.

I have a 21 year old step son. A month or 2 into every job that he gets, he starts pulling sickies. This inevitably leads to him getting the sack. He's always gotten a new job within a month of him starting to look.

A proportion of his mates have a similarly unprofessional approach to work. They all get new jobs easily and often enough.
It's like a soap opera. I can't keep up with their latest jobs. And what they've been doing to get sacked.

All of this is anecdotal evidence. However the UK unemployment statistics - current rate 3.8% - seem to back up my anecdotal evidence.

Anyone that's worked at Linn for a while would have a good entry on their CV for finding alternative employment.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 am Docfoster, if you have a different perspective on the current UK job market to me, that's fair enough.

I have a 21 year old step son. A month or 2 into every job that he gets, he starts pulling sickies. This inevitably leads to him getting the sack. He's always gotten a new job within a month of him starting to look.

A proportion of his mates have a similarly unprofessional approach to work. They all get new jobs easily and often enough.
It's like a soap opera. I can't keep up with their latest jobs. And what they've been doing to get sacked.

All of this is anecdotal evidence. However the UK unemployment statistics - current rate 3.8% - seem to back up my anecdotal evidence.

Anyone that's worked at Linn for a while would have a good entry on their CV for finding alternative employment.
Alternative employment as a shelf stacker or Amazon delivery driver you mean. Not so easy to get skilled work as companies are over picky while claiming there is labour shortage. I might be a dyed in the wool conservative voter but even to me your analysis is insulting bollocks. Lot's of graduates having to take menial jobs. Of course with the dot com economy young and cheap unskilled workers may find it relatively easy. Getting the job you want to do were you are committed to a career is far from easy and next to impossible for older workers. If you are in electronics might have to move to China.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)