Linn - is the end near?

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Linn - is the end near?

Unread post by karatestu »

Nigel wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:49 pm It was them I realised I didn't actually have a clue as to what constitutes a good sound.
What sounds good to you is good. Trust your own ears :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Ordinaryman wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm hope not for the sake of what, 171 employees? if the article is to be believed. great news for those who feel wounded I would think? no aspersions intended :oops:
This.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

And you're point is?

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 pm
scotty38 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am I am assuming you used the same tape deck to record and the same tapes and setup in order to make it the turntable's fault?
I cant remember what tape deck my work colleague used,I had a Denon. The tapes were TDK SA in all cases.
Just wondering how you determined the Rega was better than the Linn then?

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

scotty38 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm
scotty38 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am I am assuming you used the same tape deck to record and the same tapes and setup in order to make it the turntable's fault?
I cant remember what tape deck my work colleague used,I had a Denon. The tapes were TDK SA in all cases.
Recordings from the Rega sounded better. Simple.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:16 pm
scotty38 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Recordings from the Rega sounded better. Simple.
But you're ignoring different tape decks that actually make the recording. Why are you doing that when you know full well what I am asking?

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

You are not clear about what you are asking.

I have made it perfectly clear that recordings on my Denon cassette deck from my Rega Planar 3 on TDK SA. Sounded better than recordings from the Linn Axis using the same tape. I cannot remember what tape deck was in the Axis system, it was thirty years ago.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

So here goes. Why after 30/40 years are people still hell bent on dishing linn,in particular the lp12? Were you missold,did you believe the hype, or did you simply "go with the crowd"? I purchased my lp12 in 82/83 for the simple reason that it sounded "better" to my ears! Didn't intend to buy a new deck, new nothing of linn mythology, just walked into a dealer(Rayford hifi Windsor) and heard one, was lucky enough to get a home demo and it certainly beat my gl75 hands down (I still have this) I really have no axe to grind re linn, never did upgrades, just 3/4 services then decided to do my own. Apart from numerous cartridges and rebuilt Valhalla,it still brings pleasure. You make YOUR CHOICE and pay your money, mistake, well we have all made them, don't go blaming someone else. RD told me in a txt "Your ears, your room, your music. If you think it sounds good, then it does " (Not referring to lp12) surley that still applies? There are obviously people hear that have heard many more decks than I and could testify to a better sound, good for them if they have taken the time to source something better, as I'm sure there are. I wouldn't ever disagree with there findings, nor say yes but look at the manufacture. From what I've read here many have bought from china (even RD) how does that sit in your conscience? Let's put a stop to this and just go with our ears and move on?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I was miss-sold an LP12 in 1983.
The dealer that I bought it from told me that it was the best truntable in the world.

It wasn't.

The UK hi-fi magazines of the time were part of the miss-selling. For example Popular Hi-fi stating in their buyers guide in 1982 to 1983 that Linn Isobariks were the best speakers that you could buy at that time.

The go listen for yourselves thing is a bit of a joke as the Linn dealers I went to had a a Hobson's choice of equipment. This was before the days of the internet and the bake-offs that are fairly easy to organise now in the 21st century.

There's also reports of nobbled demos during the 1980's. Where non Linn equipment was deliberately nobbled by dealers to sound worse. When these reports came from sources including Richard Dunn, I am inclinded to believe them.

All of that is in the past. But, if you miss-sell in the way that Linn and UK hi-fi press did in the 1980's, it leaves a bad taste and resentment forever.

Nowadays, you can look at Linn and see that the selling cost bears minimal relation to the materials and manufacturing cost.
How much is a Keel these days? For a single medium sized piece of CNC machined aluminium alloy? Plus an hour or so of dealer time to fit.

I have been disappointed with the cost vs sound quality of all the modern Linn equipment I've had demonstrated to me.

The last year has been a particularly hard one for UK hi-fi dealers. With reports of relatively poor sales.

Maybe the UK hi-fi buying public have - in the large - wised up and now see that used / DIY / bought direct from manufacturer equipment gives you better sound quality per pound spent. And that there is no value in buying new from dealers - including Linn?

For myself, I am completely indifferent as to whether Linn stay in business or not. They are an irrelevance to me now. I can't see them ever offering to sell something that I would actually want to buy at the prices they ask.

If other people want to buy Linn that's up to them. I would however, in the interests of full and open disclosure recommend that they arrange or go to bake-offs before investing heavily in Linn equipment. And that - depending on the time and place I'd be quite happy to bring some of my own gear along.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I would say that with a different tape deck in the equation and probably a different cartridge that any comparisons are flawed.
DIY FREE ZONE