Non NVA Equipment Used By Members.

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Non NVA Equipment Used By Members.

Unread post by Classicrock »

I think it's obvious some people have moved on from NVA or use a mix of brands. Maybe they are sticking to what they have on cost grounds. From the NVA pricing thread it's obvious some have found better performance elsewhere. This thread is for listing and discussing alternative preferences by members (without being told everything else other than NVA is some kind of rip off). In any case NVA don't make Dacs, CD Players , Streamers or Record Decks (though some of these once existed).

I have changed out some NVA components partly due to the uncertainty with the brands continuance during the summer and also to rationalise the number of boxes and wires. So keeping it a bit more simple but with high quality components can have benefits, especially with noise floor and matching. So 7 boxes have now become 2 with a performance gain. Proof you don't need Class 2 and plastic cases to be free of hum loops and great resolution. Also note I never had a complete NVA amplifier chain.

Currently.

Speakers - Mission 752 / Cube 2 (still on the fence with Cubes but they do some unique things. Floorstanders do other things better).
Amplifier - Musical Fidelity M6500i.
Phono Stage - Musical Fidelity M6 Vinyl.
CD/SACD - Oppo 205 / Cambridge CXC transport.
Record Deck - Orbe SE + SME 309 arm + AT33 SA cartridge.
Cables - NVA SSP Interconnects + Mark Grant (digital). NVA LS5 speaker Cable.

Near future some new speakers preferably with 12" drivers - Maybe Klipsch or Tannoy.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Non NVA Equipment Used By Members.

Unread post by savvypaul »

Discussion of non-NVA equipment has always been allowed here, and it will always be welcome.

NVA is not for everyone.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I can't see me changing from NVA style equipment. Mine is mostly diy using amp boards and speaker drivers supplied to me by the Doc. RD always had to have an eye on parts cost and i am sure that held him back to some degree as we are starting to find out now with the upgrades Tomasz and Paul have started rolling out. Though if you are diy inclined then there is no limit to what you can use and do.

I use a modified Naim CD3.5 mostly with no anologue output stage, 5 separate psu''s, fancy closk and a sprinkling of regulator upgrades. I have a pair of B&W P4 speakers i am very fond of, a pair of B&W CM1 and some partially doc modded MS902S (had to put the inductor back in the end :cry: :cry:).

In my second system i use a Cambridge Audio CD5 which i have no complaints with when in a sytem with AP20 and the B&W CM1 speakers.
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've got two "ordinary" systems and an AV system. My main system is still NVA amps/pre, with NVA interconnects and speaker cable, all of which you can see in my sig.

The AV system has just been rebuilt and re-cabled throughout with AudioQuest cables, and will not change in the foreseeable future**.

My "second" system, which is the one that's been fekked about with over and over, now comprises a Primare i21 amp and Primare CD21 CD player plus a streamer built on an Asus Tinker Board running Volumio, currently powered from a "power bank" and a dual AK4497 DAC with xmos XU208 USB.

I'm still experimenting with USB leads, currently, I've got an Oyaide in place, but I've got a few more coming to try out. If none of them works out it'll probably be "next-stop AudioQuest" again. I'm turning into a bit of an AQ fan-boy -grumpy-old-man. :character-oldtimer:

The RCA cables between DAC and amp are Audioquest Red River, and I've got a pair of Audioquest Indigo Blue speaker cables to put in when I eventually get off of my arse and do it. Currently, I have Van Damme 6mm Hi-Fi speaker cable running into my EPOS ES11s and a 3m pair of Edge analogue interconnects feeding a 10" Tannoy TS10 sub.

In actual fact, the next "project," when I will also swap the speaker cable out, is to build a proper base for the setup with some vibration damping. At present, it's all a bit of a balancing act with chipboard on top of a bookcase and a couple of marble worktop-helpers. I've also got some RDC cones/bases for the Amp/CD player, and some "Isopods" for under the DAC. I'll also, probably, move my turntable to this system as it's not getting used in the NVA setup.

This single post is probably more than I've written about "actual" hi-fi than my last year's posts added together. :lol:

** Obviously, "...in the foreseeable future" actually means "for the next few weeks" in hi-fi terms.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

boxswapper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by boxswapper »

I find NVA amps and speakers clean, clear and truthful to source be it good or bad. I like a sound that is quite warm and also have Quad 405 as well for change sake. I tend to mix around a bit. I largely use vinyl but dont have an NVA phono stage, I use a valve Pro Ject tubebox SEII. Also used earlier versions of this same phono successfully with NVA pieces.
I find the valves make the sound nicer to my ears. To me its a question of balancing your system to make it sound how you want it to. Speakers used in past with valves/ NVA successfully, Cubette, Rega RS1 Rega RS3 Stirling ls3/5a V2, Q Acoustic 2010i

If I'm using my Spendor S3/5R with NVA then not so much need for a valve phono stage. The speakers themselves are inherantly warm as a characteristic sound. Here solid state phono is fine; my Edwards Audio apprentice does a good job.

So for me mix and match all the way.

ljones67
Great Britain

Unread post by ljones67 »

First system is AVI DM5 active speakers, Marantz CD player and Arcam rBlink bluetooth DAC/receiver with an NVA P20 preamp. This was my first introduction to NVA as the P20 was recommended by DSJR on the AVI forum.

'AV' system also now has a pair of DM5s as front L&R and ALR/Jordan Entry S passives for rears. Sub is an old MJ Acoustics Pro 50. All five speakers used to be Entry S but I changed the front three with a pair of AVI Neutron 3s when I got the first DM5s. The AV amp is a Marantz but due to the Audyssey set up, stereo isn't full range so I've added another P20 to play CDs. Would really like to replace the TV with a Panasonic OLED but way too much at the moment.

Final system is NVA P50SA, A20 and Cubbettes with a very old Sony 337ES CD player. Can't remember what the NVA cables are but I went for the next step up from the basic ones.

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

First system is Squeezebox Touch, Chord DAC 64, Rega Cursa pre and Exon power amps into PMC FB1's. I have no idea now what the cables were.
Second system also a Squeezebox Touch as source, the cheapy Chinese DAC and power supply recommended elsewhere by Mr Dunn, NVA AP20 into tannoy dc 6 speakers. Here the cables are NVA.

At some stage the main systems amps will be replaced by NVA's of some description. Before that the cables will change. I'm really, really impressed with just how good the AP20 is compared with the rather dull Onkyo it replaced.I suspect it is a combination of the amp and the cables moving things along. The main system is better, but only just, which given the price differences is simply shocking.

Unfortunately for NVA, I only replace things when they cease to function, though if second hand Rega's where to start selling for silly money second hand - I could be tempted into that route for trading up.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Life is to short to replace nva. Especially when the choices are analogus to replacing a pale blue with a sky blue shirt, once you have found one you like as much.

Changing for minor differences of presentation, what's the point.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

Downstairs

Roksan Xerxes X/Rega RB600/Van den Hul Frog Gold
Meridian 500 CD transport
Devialet 250 integrated amp/DAC/streamer
Spendor D7 speakers

Upstairs

AR turntable/RB300/Ortofon MC10
Exposure CDP
Michell Iso phono stage
Exposure 21 pre/18 power amps
Harbeth PSE3R speakers

Plus Stax headphone systems upstairs and downstairs.

(Copied & pasted from pfm!)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I am more into live sound than Hi-Fi currently so no NVA due to not discovering it soon enough.

I have:
Bedroom 1 Quad 33, FM3, 405-2, Denon DCD960, Tannoy Sixes speaker (can't remember the model)
Bedroom 2 Moth Passive Pre, Quad 306 fed from FM3 and DCD960 above, Tannoy Sixes speaker (can't remember the model but newer than above)
Lounge Quad 99 system (Pre, FM99 and CD99) Quad 707, Teac X10, Thorens TD160, SME 2009 V2 Imp, Ortofon VMS30, NAD 60 speakers

None of it gets much use due to being too busy with other things.
iPod classic and Bose QC30s get more use as it doesn't disturb anyone else (No MP3 here Apple lossless)