NVA pricing

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: NVA pricing

Unread post by zebbo »

The black "plastic" box is part of the operational design is it not? No metal casework, not even screws, etc, etc, it's all part of why they work.
I remember reading an article some years ago about some new B&O speakers that were being brought to the market, they were heard at the prototype stage and were thought to be stunning but by the time the styling department had worked their magic they were simply adequate. I do get the desire to own beautiful things, that's why I wear a 1950's Omega, but when it comes to my hi-fi I think to get that AND match the performance is way beyond my price point and I'm not going to sacrifice performance.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

zebbo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:30 am The black "plastic" box is part of the operational design is it not? No metal casework, not even screws, etc, etc, it's all part of why they work.
Correct
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

This is an interesting discussion. I'll do my best not to be defensive; I'll let everyone crack on and then look at it again this evening.

I will also start another feedback type thread that covers not just pricing...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=50364
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I had my doubts that NVA would continue given the mess left by Richard's passing. I for one had a number of disagreements with Richard, over Linn and the LP12 in particular before I realise her was a man who knew what he was talking about with most things audio including TT's.

I was always drawn to the black box range aesthetically - clean and stylish, small and neat plus available at unbeatable prices and now we know how this was achieved! So a few years ago I was running an Avondale Grad 1 pre amp, it's excellent and I have no intention to sell it but I required an additional input which I understood could have been achieve by other means, but I was also keen to try a passive. Richard was unsure if hi P50 would match up with my Avondale monoblock's but the rest is history. I nowhave in my main system all NVA amplification. I'm not for one minute going to set it's better than Avondale, Incatech or any other manufacturers equipment for that matter I can't, but honestly but it has a sound I can wallow in..

I am currently demoing the upgrade P50 SA. I am so glad I took this offer up as it's an extremely good performer. Given the way of the audio business I'm sure it would have eventually been a path Richard would have taken given that he was already discussing alternative components with Tomasz. Let's all be fair, NVA could not have continued as it was being run under Richard,( eve he had increased prices). He was not making enough profit for himself and Nadia either - nor a pension?

No I am grateful that NVA continues and I will continue to support the brand as and when I can, even though prices have had to be increased.

Finally it would be great to see the Statement range appear at some point in future even though I doubt I could house them let alone afford them! They just exceeded style and presence and showed many what Richard's knowledge could achieve in sound and aesthetics.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

☝️✅👌
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

China produces some very nice copies of well-known hi-fi manufacturers' casework. If you really feel that to make your music sound... well... musical, you absolutely must have pretty, useless, shiny, baubles, then put your NVA kit behind a screen and put some fake cases on your sideboard.

Now, I can't deny that I like good-looking things, you only have to look at my profile pic, but I'm practical too. There is nothing to dis-like about the way NVA looks, so the only real "excuse" for not buying NVA is that it's not made from unobtanium, and doesn't have capacitor-foil that's rolled on the thighs of dusky maidens and then encapsulated in gold, filled with the tears of angels.

If it offends you, hide it. Value is not added by baubles, bangles, and beads, but by top-notch components put together in the knowledge that the ultimate goal is to make music; the best music possible for the price. As mentioned above, the casework is integral to the sound produced. You can't really have one without the other.

I don't have a "dog in the fight," by the way. As a poor old pensioner I couldn't afford to upgrade BEFORE the prices went up. :lol:

The only way to keep the NVA brand and the NVA "sound" alive was, as I see it, to make NVA into a sustainable business. Which is what has happened. The major difference is that the Doc isn't here to subsidise your purchases any more.

N.B.
All of the above is purely a personal opinion. Although I'm an admin here, neither I nor any of the "staff" at HFS is actually affiliated with NVA, we're just fans, the same as you guys hopefully are.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

which I suppose raised a very good point.

Thanks Doc for subsidising our listening pleasure over the years :-)
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

hasraff886
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by hasraff886 »

For me NVA black casing is a timeless beauty. Being an owner of Zu speakers, I can see some similarities between NVA and Zu Audio on how they do their business. All the best to both of you Paul & Thomas.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I had not heard of NVA until 2016 and now have a top quality system very much on the cheap.

Thanks Doc. :grin: :guiness;
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

CN211276 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:31 pm I had not heard of NVA until 2016 and now have a top quality system very much on the cheap.

Thanks Doc. :grin: :guiness;
What system did you have before NVA?

S.
Shane Lonergan.