NEW P50sa Upgrade - Review

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NEW P50sa Upgrade - Review

Unread post by savvypaul »

wackyraces wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:06 pm Hmmm, only had my NVA P50sa for a few Months - so I've just missed the Mk2 boat! Anyway - how much for the upgrade please in my case?
£225 - the silver wiring part of the upgrade is free if you order by 13th October

After 13th October - £260
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

wackyraces
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces »

OK - I'm not sure if I paid much more than that amount for the full NVA P50sa back when I got it brand new - I will have a think...

I'm may redirect funds into upgrading the Croft 7 to Croft 7R. Although I am interested in how an NVA power amp might sound at some point.
System: AURALiC Mini - SPS DAC 3 - NVA P50sa / Croft 7 - Role Audio Enterprise

savvypaul
Great Britain

wackyraces wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 pm OK - I'm not sure if I paid much more than that amount for the full NVA P50sa back when I got it brand new - I will have a think...

I'm may redirect funds into upgrading the Croft 7 to Croft 7R. Although I am interested in how an NVA power amp might sound at some point.
Whereabouts are you Mr. Dastardly?
I am in the hi-fi trade

wackyraces
Great Britain

Just found out I paid £264 for the whole preamp back in April from nenevalleyaudio.

I'm located in Norfolk.

savvypaul
Great Britain

wackyraces wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:19 pm Just found out I paid £264 for the whole preamp back in April from nenevalleyaudio.

I'm located in Norfolk.
You may see a number of posts on variations of that theme. In the past few years, Richard was selling items at unsustainably low margins, nowhere near enough to support a 'proper' business. Items sold through dealers are an average of 7.5 times parts cost. Richard sold you that preamp at around 1.5 times parts cost. We sell 'whole items' at an average of 4 times parts cost. That gives us a chance to promote the brand properly, pay the bills and invest in the future...and still give you a 40% saving on dealer prices. The P50SA upgrade is a special reward for forum members - the parts cost is around £150 and there is 1.5 hours labour. At the offer price, until October 13th, of £225 including the silver wire upgrade (and return UK postage)...you won't find a better deal.

You're welcome to try out the new P50SA (the loan unit is on the way back from Hemmo1969, who posted the review, above). We also hope to have one of the A60 MKIII power amplifiers available for loan from the new year.
I am in the hi-fi trade

wackyraces
Great Britain

Yes I wouldn't mind listening to the new P50sa - I'm a little skeptical that I will hear a difference just by upgrading the volume control and internal wiring - or perhaps my systems won't be revealing enough - but that's what loans are for I guess so thank you for that opportunity.

Also a listen to the A60mkIII would be useful too - again head to head against a Croft but... - why not. Could you please lend me the appropriate speaker cables because I understand that the cables are part of the design.

wackyraces
Great Britain

Further thoughts... the best preamp is a passive preamp because there are no active electronics to worry about and neither are there the worries of mains borne interference. Yet even a high quality passive can be improved with better internal connectivity.

I only use one source - so I assume if by removing the selector switch that’s even better integrity still, I mean it has to be! It’s obvious by upgrades done on the NV P50sa that every little helps - so removing the selector switch is another likely sound quality improvement. This simple approach would mean less internal silver wiring thus reducing costs too.

I bet many run on just the one main line source like me so could reap even better sq by removing the selector switch.

Sorry this is my late night thinking mode.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

wackyraces wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:06 am Further thoughts... the best preamp is a passive preamp because there are no active electronics to worry about and neither are there the worries of mains borne interference. Yet even a high quality passive can be improved with better internal connectivity.

I only use one source - so I assume if by removing the selector switch that’s even better integrity still, I mean it has to be! It’s obvious by upgrades done on the NV P50sa that every little helps - so removing the selector switch is another likely sound quality improvement. This simple approach would mean less internal silver wiring thus reducing costs too.

I bet many run on just the one main line source like me so could reap even better sq by removing the selector switch.

Sorry this is my late night thinking mode.
In my NVA based system i have no source selector or volume control, just two resistors soldered in per channel. Sounds awesome but sadly it wont be staying like that forever. :cry:
DIY FREE ZONE

wackyraces
Great Britain

What!? That’s minimalism to the extreme! How does your system work like that?

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

wackyraces wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:24 am What!? That’s minimalism to the extreme! How does your system work like that?
To change source (not very often) i have to power everything down and swap interconnects. I can't adjust volume without getting the soldering iron out and changing the value of 2 resistors. I chose a value which covers all bases - not too quiet on quieter cd's and vinyl and not too loud on the louder ones.

It certainly is minimalism taken to the extreme. But it does prove to me the degredation that occurs with every switch contact, piece of wire and solder joint that is added to the chain.
DIY FREE ZONE