Foreign amps

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

Foreign amps

Unread post by Latteman »

To follow the British amp post has anyone had experience of non British and non Japanese amps
I had an American Acurus DIA100 just before Nva and the American phono stages from Bellari & Schiit
All good in my opinion

Any experience anyone
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Foreign amps

Unread post by karatestu »

No, not had any i don't think. Only British and Japanese here but only because that is the way it turned out. Although i have always fancied something from Kazakhstan.
DIY FREE ZONE

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

I've enjoyed my time with Copland (Danish) components.
And Unison Research Unico CDP (Italian) was very good.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Teddy Pardo (Israel) made some wonderful amps. He started his business building alternative power supplies for Naim. I bought one just to see what the fuss was about and was staggered by how much better it was than the Salisbury “original”.

Fast forward and I replaced my Naim amps and Naim dac with Teddy’s equipment. Much better (to my ears) than Naim, no humming transformers and no requirement for recapping every 10 years.

A superb amp which deserved to be more successful. Teddy also has a direct selling model and I suspect that the relative low cost actually worked against him. Sadly, he sold so few that he decided to cease production. They are now hard to find second hand. In the meantime, psus are still in production.

The only reason I discovered NVA was due to a slight hearing imbalance (the Teddy does not have a balance control). Now fully NVA.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Nelson pass f5, American design.
Mine is a diyaudio clone build, built by nick, (lurcher300b) best sand amp I have had.
I built loads of valve amps after having british amps for a long time, 2a3 se, 45pp, kt66 se, kt88sep, various el34 amps, I got the f5 and the last el34 amp got taken to bits shortly after.
The f5 has stayed ever since
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Canadian. Coincident Frankenstein 300b prototype SET. It's a good 8 watt SET.
American. Korneff 45 SET clone. If you don't need power nor a lot of gain it's a good amp at a reasonable price.

Although with both I suspect you could DIY something just as good or better for less money.

Lightspeed LDR (from Down Under?). Great little inexpensive passive pre-amp. Trouble is after a few years it got so that even at max volume it was too quiet. Plus the toxity of the internal bits.

Promitheus TVC (Malysia? Indonesia?). Great midrange. Not so good in the bass and treble.

USA. UREI 6230. OK solid state power amp for £85 used.
UREI 6290 x 2 at £150 each used. Great bass and reasonable midrange and treble for a solid state. Effortless power. Not suitable for positioning in the same room as the speakers due to noisy cooling fans and noisy hummy huge transformers.

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

Monarchy Audio (American).

Pair of SM70 Pro monos, despite the glowing reviews I found them poor.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

I use an American Bel Canto but not the usual Class D stuff, mine is an 845 valve Set power amp that is called the Set 40 as it was originally designed to provide 40 watts per channel however they had to reign it back a bit to 35 watts as they found the originals had a propensity to blow stuff operating at the limit. Had mine about 8 years. Been faultless to date.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Long before High End became fashionable, pro's often looked to the US for their decent amps and still do. Too many to mention, but crown, Phase Linear and BGW were exalted brands back then. 'Ampzilla' and 'Son of Ampzilla' (G.A.S.), Dunlap Clarke and Quatre (QMI) were others long before Threshold. This was five years or so before Krell found its way over here in '85 or so.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

My brother has owned 2 German power amps, Audionet and now Accustic Arts, both superb.