Cartridge for Doc's G99/Neat

All general audio posts go here.
scotty38
Kiribati

Re: Cartridge for Doc's G99/Neat

Unread post by scotty38 »

Back home now and it's running. There's something catching the platter each revolution so I'm just trying to fathom that out. No cartridge yet so just staring at it for now....

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Intact original Lenco's have an idler bracket and linkage that helps retract the idler assembly away and down from the motor and platter when the deck is switched off (better to look at than to describe it). If the idler arm isn't sitting properly in this, you may get strange stuff happening. The slanted 'guide' may possibly be just touching the underside of the platter but I don't remember this happening at the time. This guide can be *slightly* bent less severely to clear the platter if indeed that's what's happening (only needs to be a smidge) as I can't think of anything else - it's a very simple affair.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

scotty38
Kiribati

Thanks Dave. I dug out pictures of Ant's build and the mechanism was in the wrong place so whether it moved in transit or not I'm not sure but anyway it's right now. The noise disappeared then but returned, albeit quieter, after a minute or so. However after a while it went away altogether and it was quiet when i tried it again last night... As it happens Ant isn't that far away from me so he's going to give it the once over once my cartridge arrives but to be fair I think it's all fine now anyway....

scotty38
Kiribati

Well the cartridge arrived and unless I cut it in half it ain't balancing etc...

It will be interesting for Ant to show my my schoolboy errors..

Oh and yes, I'm trying without the additional brass weight, with that on I'd need three of the buggers....