Kiribati

Re: Cartridge for Doc's G99/Neat

Unread post by scotty38 »

and replied thanks

scotty38
Kiribati

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:51 am You lot don't like your high frequencies do you? :D

I'd sooner look to Hana or AT MC's myself as the Neat arm has no bias correction amongst other things. An AT-F7 should be ample for this particular deck and tonearm, which I got to know quite well after the initial build and I tried several different cartridges in it. RD played with a Grado Black One for a while ant in his listening area, I didn't find it hugely lacking compared to the SPU particularly. Grado's like 1.6g tracking and in the past, very little bias correction too.
I don't like them, that's a fact :lol: :lol: Keep the opinions coming :dance:

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

Goldring 1042.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

See above - 1042 has too much HF!

Ok, if you really don't like high frequencies, go for a Grado Gold 1 instead. Warm, gentle highs and as far away from neutral 'digital' as I think you can get these days.

The Sumiko Pearl is a current version of the old Rega R100 and related A&R E77 which had a powerful but retrained sound. They've recently launched 'better' versions of this cartridge at higher price points and with more modern styling, but no idea how they perform.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

No no and thrice no....

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I have the Sumiko Pearl and is a great little cartridge
Also have the Grado Gold 1 and again a great cartridge as Dave said- perhaps Ant can add as he is currently borrowing it for a listening
Also love the mid price Dynavector homc range
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

scotty38
Kiribati

I've had a long chat with Ant so may give an AT33 a go.... To be fair I may try a couple so thanks all for the options...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I'm trying to be careful with the suggestions, knowing the arm and the entire deck 'sound' as well as I do.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Scottys preference may not be yours. You are in danger of conflating your opinion for fact and this is not audio amateurs.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

So what cartridge would you suggest DQ?

I'm still employed from time to time locally as a turntable professional and am paid accordingly (and by RD too when he was alive), and I do know this particular deck quite well now, having had it here at home twice for weeks at a time and I do know the arm, having taken it partly apart at least once in addition to NW Audio who re-wired it some years back! I don't build fancy plinths as it's not my expertise and I can't do it, but I'm well able to advise where necessary and give opinions in this case based on first hand knowledge of the item itself. Nobody takes any notice anyway, so don't you worry I'm getting beyond my station as you so often perceive it to be!

I'll leave it to scotty to forge his own path with this deck. No doubt he'll take ant's advice and go for an AT33 (lots of hf in this one as well, but in the right arm it should be delightful).