SSP interconnects - buzz pick up.

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: SSP interconnects - buzz pick up.

Unread post by zebbo »

Are these the ones you bought from me?
I never had any issues, but they were used with all NVA kit.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

If at all possible (and apologies for granny sucking eggs here), do try to keep signal and power cables apart from each other. I was always told they could cross each other at 90 degrees but 'separated' was best if this could be done.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Were those cables posted from Zebbo? Parcel could be mistreated on the way and those actually could get damaged but both at the same time is unlikely. Do you have mulimeter can you test them? When testing try to move phono plugs.
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Ithilstone wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:05 pm Were those cables posted from Zebbo? Parcel could be mistreated on the way and those actually could get damaged but both at the same time is unlikely. Do you have mulimeter can you test them? When testing try to move phono plugs.
I do have a multimeter somewhere but there is no problem with continuity of the signal and they look fine. Packing by Zebbo was pretty bullet proof. The shorter cable is clear of the floor were the power extension cable is, so that is possibly the issue. Only mystery is why the buzz went when phono stage fully powered up? Only thing is to try with another source (dac) and try repositioning it near and away from power. I have NVA speaker cable near to the power and that is picking up nothing. Are these possible to access the plugs without damaging the shrinkwrap? I was able to repair an earlier SSC which had different plugs but those were easy to unscrew the barrels.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

New type needs to have shrinkwrap removed to get access. It might be a faulty joint - passing signal but not fully connected
usually it breaks connection when you move phono plug etc.

The buzz went when phono stage fully powered up? Some kind of ground loop protection circuit inside maybe? But just a wild guess.

Let us know how its behaving with different source
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Classicrock
Great Britain

The latest version of the MF M6 Vinyl has a ground switch (Manual has not been updated). Ground lift, partial ground and full ground made no difference to the buzz. I know it does have some sort of RFI rejection circuitry. However there was no loss in audio signal. The SSC cable I repaired had missing solder on one of the earth joints but it made intermittent contact and somehow was not noticed for at least 12 months when moving the cable caused loss of one channel. This appears something quite different and affected both channels.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

It's Richard having a laugh.
DIY FREE ZONE

Classicrock
Great Britain

Tried it connected to Beresford DAC. Same issue. Buzz through speakers when Dac off, goes when DAC powered up! Obviously an issue with the cable, whether long length is picking something up or it's a bad cable construction I can't tell.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

That's a bit of mistery as both cables having exactly the same fault is very very unlikely
So cable picking up something is more likely.
The fact it was working for Zebbo OK suggests that there is no faulty wiring ( as it would most likely blow Zebbo's amps long ago)
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Classicrock
Great Britain

Ithilstone wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 pm That's a bit of mistery as both cables having exactly the same fault is very very unlikely
So cable picking up something is more likely.
The fact it was working for Zebbo OK suggests that there is no faulty wiring ( as it would most likely blow Zebbo's amps long ago)
Doesn't answer the question as to why two other cables are noise free unless extra length acts as an aerial?

As for age I think my two cables and the problem one I bought of Zebbo are approx same vintage (recent). Same plugs fitted with shrink over complete plug barrel. I will PM Zebbo to see if he has the purchase date.