Cubes - question.

All general audio posts go here.
TheMarlin
Great Britain

Cubes - question.

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Are Cubettes reflective of the general Cube sound? How would you guys compare the bigger ones versus the smallest in the series?
I have a pair, and do like them, but think a bigger pair might fill my listening room better.
They stack up very well against my Tannoy Monitors, but probably need to experiment with placement more. Much harder to drive than my Tannoys, which surprised me.

I’ve got them on stands within a half foot of the rear wall. They seem to like it there a bit more than front and centre. Odd curved room prevents closer proximity.

Any tips for getting the best out of these? The mids are very sweet.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Cubes - question.

Unread post by karatestu »

In the absence of an official response i will say this.

I have never heard a true nva speaker but i do have my own experiments to draw conclusions from. I have the same drivers used as mids in my speakers (in a separate cab to nva 12" bass drivers). The main thing s you will gain are more bass weight, lower frequencies unheard before will now be evident as you go up the range. There will be more scale- more like a real band in your living room as it were.

I am not familiar with you tannoy's but the doping of drivers reduces the efficiency of the nva speakers. They do make up though in not having any components in series (or parallel) before the 5" mid bass. I would hazard a guess that the tannoy's are more efficient and have a simple crossover (not as simple as the nva though).
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The bigger Cubes are more of the same characteristics. Bigger soundstage, more bass, more dynamic swing etc etc.

Doping increases driver weight, which does reduce efficiency,...but dont confuse that with being 'hard to drive'. They are very easy to drive - if you dont need high volumes, the 20 series will drive them ¹easily.

They need to be closeish to a .wall. Lots in the archive about positioning. Most importantly, experiment. Let us know how you get on.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Doping is about the same as a passive crossover for loss of effeciency

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

I struggled a bit when I first got cubetts, posted here. Found that 'placement' really didn't matter that much as long as they were close to a wall, nothing like I'd been used to! However when they were gone for a while I realised just how good they are. Room is not perfect for them and I'm sure if it was better so would they! Still hoping that when nva is up and running again I might be able to upgrade them to cubes of some kind?and yes they are a little bit 'harder' to drive than my other speakers, but I wouldn't be without them. Don't know when you got them but persevere, they creep up on you! :dance:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

OK, a 3rd or 4th order crossover :lol:

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I find the main difference as you go up the Cube range as an increase of scale, with the higher models giving a fuller sound and the better tweeter improves the treble over the Cubettes as well.

With my NVA amp I find it an advantage that the Cubes require the volume control at my usual listening level to be at about 12 o'clock, this gives better adjustment than other speakers where you might get the same volume lower on the controls and allows finer adjustment for low listening levels.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I have found my Cube 2's to be one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever bought. The closer to a wall the better and experiment with toe in.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Bigger cubes give more bass extension. The higher models have a better tweeter. My big system can give a damn good impression of having musicians in the room.
Having said that, my little wooden cubettes sound musical and involving. My advice is to enjoy the music.

3 systems - P20/A20/Cubettes, AP20/Cube 2s, and the system in the sig is not a 3-up.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My old-style Cube3 are about the same as current Cubettes and did fine as main speakers for a couple of years. Surprising clarity, life, imaging and depth for such little boxes.

When I got Cube2's I realised that these provided more authority and weight than the smaller version. Music flows out with an effortless ease whereas the Cube3/Cubette might struggle to be really convincing.

Still thoroughly musical boxes, though, and in daily use here. :grin: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450