Placement (amps, psu, pre amp etc)

All general audio posts go here.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Placement (amps, psu, pre amp etc)

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

My ears have told me in no uncertain terms to give my kit some breathing space. Right now the A80s, PSUs, P70, Tom Evans Micro Groove Plus, Lehmann Black Cube & Meridian 204 are loosely spread across my floor whilst I figure out how best to store them. The system already sounds a lot better for being "de-racked".
Is there such thing as an optimal component placement/arrangement. For example is better to keep the A80s or the PSUs apart and I know my P70 is sensitive to electrical interference so I do my best to keep that away from the A80s, PSUs, WiFi router etc. Any thoughts or advice welcome, thanks Paul
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Placement (amps, psu, pre amp etc)

Unread post by savvypaul »

As much distance as you can sensibly manage. This thread from the archive should be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=48816&p=162390&hil ... nt#p162390
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Thanks for the link Paul
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A long wide wallshelf might be a good solution, with holes drilled or cut out at the rear for cable routing. With book, CD's, possibly vinyl etc filling in the gaps between components.

I use my late grandmother's coffee table and a Sound Organisation table for my amplification bits for my upstairs system.

Plonked on the floor is fine from a sonic point of view, but likely to be a trip hazard for health and safety.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:23 am As much distance as you can sensibly manage. This thread from the archive should be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=48816&p=162390&hil ... nt#p162390
I still stand by anything i said in that thread.

Getting the phono amp close to the arm lead out is something i am to experiment with. Naim put the prefix inside the L12 to reduce the length of wire from cart to phone stage to a minimum. It was shielded in a metal case of course unlike nva designs. The psu for it (hicap etc) was in another case that could be sited well away. Of course a nva phono board inside a deck would pick up all sorts of interference from the record players psu and motor unless in a metal case.

My plan is to make a metal case for a nva phono amp pcb along with regulators and a pair of smoothing caps. Put that right behind the record player, have a very short arm lead and make sure the record player has an offboard, remote psu. If it has an onboard psu then offboard it. Also dc motors are said to give off less crap than AC ones. The rest of the phono amp psu (transformers, rectifiers, first smoothing caps) can be put in a separate case well away from the amp board.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Sounds like a good plan Stu!
Wanted to ask for photos of your project but then I remembered some of you Frankenstein creations and I am not so sure anymore ;]]]]
But very interested in you findings
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

karatestu
Great Britain

Ithilstone wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm Sounds like a good plan Stu!
Wanted to ask for photos of your project but then I remembered some of you Frankenstein creations and I am not so sure anymore ;]]]]
But very interested in you findings
Hahaha. Yes it will be agricultural looking at first . If the concept works then i will build something more aesthetically pleasing. Eventually. .................
DIY FREE ZONE

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Well if you ask me it do not have to be more aesthetically pleasing - as long as you happy with how it sounds and as long as I do not have to see the photos ;]]]]] not that I do mind it just give me nightmares... :mrgreen:
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

If I can't and I am reasonably sure I can't get my phono and pre amp more than 2' foot away from the A80s and PSUs is there anything I can use to screen them ? Thanks Paul

karatestu
Great Britain

2 feet away is not a bad distance away. What size transformers are in your non nva kit ? Your A80's have 160VA transformers in i believe.
DIY FREE ZONE