‘Belts are for holding trousers up’

All general audio posts go here.
Latteman
Great Britain

‘Belts are for holding trousers up’

Unread post by Latteman »

.....To quote the Doc.....

So what’s this idler thing all about ?
Got myself a Bush/garrard thingy about 8 months ago- never did anything with it.
Renewed interest recently- talked to Ant- lent me a ‘type 2’- omg, shut the front door, this ain’t going home😂- but anyone who knows Ant knows he doesn’t give up a turntable easily- so a minimum bit got me an unexpected win- a GL 59 Re plinthed with original arm and a bullet- sorry B&O cartridge
Again amazing, so much better presentation of music than my current belt drives. I plan a little back to back battle later.

Question time- I like the arm and it’s on/off & cueing mechanism but what about the large B&O cartridge- it appears to have a high tracking weight. I have a spare detachable head shell but is deep for my Grado- will the B&O be ok or should I change to a modern cartridge
Sounds amazing but as usual I read elsewhere it’s more suited to older recording and is not an ideal tracking weight for precious vinyl- is that right or shite
Cheers peter
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: ‘Belts are for holding trousers up’

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Those old B&O cartridges were very good in their day - don't knock it please. Modern styli (Jico?) may be the ticket perhaps.

Conical styli can safely go high in downforce (the Ortofon OM Pro models and Shure SC35 both need 4g tracking and many ceramic types used to track at 6 - 8g with no issue as long as they weren't mistracking - RD never knocked ceramic cartridges incidentally as long as they're loaded right).

If the arm won't go down to 1.6g or so or if it's too massive for the 'domestic issue' Grado, then I'd look at one of the ortofon DJ models with elliptical tip - Nightclub 'E' for example ?

Hope this helps. Your mileage may vary here, but I've never been a fan of carving these old decks up. Having said that, carving these old decks up gives a lot of people a lot of fun, so who am I to say ;)

D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Latteman
Great Britain

Thanks D for the cartridge advice- will look into it - 👍🏼
Analogue Source -
Ifi Zen Phono
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R

Latteman
Great Britain

Been reading about the L70 arm & B&O SP1 cartridge- checked the tracking weight and set at 2g- it’s really an engaging sound- not convinced any of the modern arms & cartridges I have will better it!
Analogue Source -
Ifi Zen Phono
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R

Chopsaw54
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Latteman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:51 pm Been reading about the L70 arm & B&O SP1 cartridge- checked the tracking weight and set at 2g- it’s really an engaging sound- not convinced any of the modern arms & cartridges I have will better it!
Maybe but a better arm will surprise you. I have an AT1005 on my L70 in place of the original arm and I wouldn’t go back even for the sake of originality.

Latteman
Great Britain

Chopsaw54 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:40 pm
Latteman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:51 pm Been reading about the L70 arm & B&O SP1 cartridge- checked the tracking weight and set at 2g- it’s really an engaging sound- not convinced any of the modern arms & cartridges I have will better it!
Maybe but a better arm will surprise you. I have an AT1005 on my L70 in place of the original arm and I wouldn’t go back even for the sake of originality.
Cheers
Actually I’ve just changed over the arm & cartridge to trial, the original arm and cartridge gives such a full sound stage which I like.
Got a friend coming over tonight to listen and make some plans
I’m hoping the modern arm and cartridge outperform the original
Analogue Source -
Ifi Zen Phono
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R

Chopsaw54

I find the hardest part with any heavy platter Lenco is the low platter height relative to the top plate. I managed to get hold of a piece of 15mm thick ally plate and had one of the lads at work machine it up for me. I made my own spindle extender and that all works great with the AT arm.
Enjoy your trial with the new arm. It can be time consuming but it’s all good fun! Hopefully it will give you the direction you’re looking for.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Interesting that nobody has anything to say about belt drives for tape machines where they are pretty much standard.

Chopsaw54

I have an idler drive tape deck in storage somewhere. FWIW even though I have several idler drive turntables about me, the two I use all the time are thread drive. The Lencos especially are just not quiet enough I’m afraid.

keepitsimplestupid

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

My old man has a Beogram RG 1200 he bought in the sixties with an sp1 on it. Lovely cart, big warm sound, god knows how many hours it has on it though, last replaced in the eighties...