Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Hifi Architect
Great Britain

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Hifi Architect »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 pm I've not come across any slimline ported speakers that do bass well.
And then there's my EV Sentry III wide baffle ported speakers with 15" drivers that I'd rate as "average" in the bass department. So even going large may not overcome the sonic drawbacks of ports.

The ported speakers with the best bass that I've come across are probably Steve 57's DIY'd speakers, but then they are semi ported, semi open baffle. And they do have decent quality 18" drivers.

Would anyone care to nominate any ported speakers that they think does bass well?

BTW, apart from sealed and ported and open baffle cabinets, there's also the Hartley Boffle.
This looks like an interesting idea and one worth trying some day...
3 Square Audio make a ported slimline floor stander, 198mm wide if that qualifies, that does bass exceptionally well, everything else too imho.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Manufacturer.
3 Square Audio.
https://www.3squareaudio.com/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hifi Architect wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:50 am 3 Square Audio make a ported slimline floor stander, 198mm wide if that qualifies, that does bass exceptionally well, everything else too imho.
Hi Brian,

It's fine to promote your speaker company here as long as you are selling direct, and you make your connection with the company known.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I think many people are quite ignorant about bass frequencies, I know I was for a long time!
For many, as long as it goes low it's job done but once you hear it done properly, with detail and texture, you realise what you've been missing.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Sounds like overkill.

There is nothing that your ears won't tell you. Using values means you don't trust your ears.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

I'm an open baffle speaker person myself.

Full range driver augmented by an 18" bass driver and tweeter.

Funny how Doc followers are so against crossovers in speakers but never mention crossover distortion in class B amplifiers. :-?

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

While I am almost completely ignorant about electronics, you are talking about two completely different things that just have the same name surely?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

valvesRus wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 pm I'm an open baffle speaker person myself.

Full range driver augmented by an 18" bass driver and tweeter.

Funny how Doc followers are so against crossovers in speakers but never mention crossover distortion in class B amplifiers. :-?
We will have to significantly increase the bias then and run them hotter at idle. Might be some fireworks unless a bias transistor is bolted to the heatsink right next to the output transistors. Still might be fire works.
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I challenge anyone to hear crossover distortion unless they know what they are listening for. I would go further and say that if you can hear it in a hi-fi amp then the amp is crap and the designer is an eejit.
XO distortion is 99% bullshit and is used by marketers to sell ‘pure’ class A.
The class of the output stage is not an indicator of quality.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:25 pm Sounds like overkill.

There is nothing that your ears won't tell you. Using values means you don't trust your ears.
My ears tell me exactly what level of attenuation I want, but subjectively, not as a precise dBs value.
Once I have subjectively established the attenuation level using my ears, I need to know what that level is in dBs simply so I can calculate the ohms of the resistors the L-pad requires to achieve the same level of attenuation.
The alternative (trial and error using various L-pads) would be more expensive and take longer.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You can attempt to justify all you want. We disagree, there isn't anything wrong with that.