Idler power supplies

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Idler power supplies

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Once again for Ali, I recently decided I prefer my Lenco in its new plinth to my pink.

Before it was up and running ( 6 months on account of only having I hand and spraying the top plate 5 colours ) I was worried I would need some form of power to control the speed. This as not proven to be the case.

I'm a wrong. What differences will I appreciate if I use one and for what reasons.

Please don't answer ' his power supplies are ace !' I'm not interested in such answers , but neither I'm I against them working.

I know it's HiFi but there must be a truth, after all its only rock n roll but I like it.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Idler power supplies

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I am happy to send you one of mine to try, no money involved, just so you can see if it does or doesn't make a difference.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I can see only way to convince you, one way or the other, and that's to borrow a power supply and try it with your Lenco.
Ha! there you go.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Maybe you are correct Lurcher and zebbo.

Lurcher (keeps changing it to Luther, the name of my son :lol: ) thank you very much but i couldnt justify the expense even if it worked and if it worked id be annoyed to send it back. Thanks all the same.

The moral of the story appears to be stuck it and see..

joe

Unread post by joe »

Post edited by moderator. It was playing the man and not the ball.
I have also deleted a number of posts that followed on from this

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I don't know about your idler, but with my EMT 930 idler the way to tweak the electricity reaching the motor is with a collection of various value capacitors and a stethoscope. The aim being to use the combination of capacitors that gives the least motor vibration.
I don't know if that's something that could be used to tweak your TT for minimal cost?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Back on topic, now, please.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Giving a deck a nice clean feed free of harmonics, dc offset and rfi cant hurt. I've heard Nick's psu make a significant difference at one of Brooks's dog's. That was vs a big ass mains regen unit...

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Yes, that was the point I was attempting to make, this unit makes improvements over and above other mains treatements.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

The aim being to use the combination of capacitors that gives the least motor vibration
That sounds like its using the cap to provide a 90 degree phase shift to drive the motor. AFAIK, the Garrard and Lenco motor is a single phase motor so doesnt use them. One of my "may get around to" things is to do a version of the turntable supply that generates two 110v supplies 90 degrees apart, and allow that shift to be tweaked a couple of degrees either way.