ESL57s and other vintage speakers with NVA

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

ESL57s and other vintage speakers with NVA

Unread post by savvypaul »

I remember reading that Richard had designed the NVA circuit using the Quad ESL57. Anyone here using or previously used that combination?

Anyone using any other vintage speakers with their NVA amps?

I'm using Klipsch Heresy 3 - the latest edition of a 1950s speaker.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: ESL57s and other vintage speakers with NVA

Unread post by TheMarlin »

I used to use 57’s with Leak Stereo 20’s and Radford STA25’s (never liked Quad Monoblocks).
I went from 57’s to Tannoy Studio monitors, Monitor Reds, Little Gold Monitors (not little at all!), and various others.
I love 57’s, but they’re too weak in the bass for modern music. I talked to Richard about pairing 57’s with a Rel Subwoofer (a fab combinations back in the day), but the NVA’s are not compatible with subwoofers- so ruled that out. Shame, got two great subs gathering dust in the garage.

On the lookout for a decent set of Martin Logan Electrostatics, as the built in sub is ok with NVA (according to Richard) and the smaller footprint fits my listening room. Couldn’t get 57’s in if I wanted to.

Currently making do with Tannoy Reveal passive Monitors that I paid £35 for on eBay. They honestly sound great, really great. They seem to perfectly fit my listening room. Very dynamic and detailed, with fantastic full range response. Fantastic fast bass They’ll do until I can find something more exotic at the right price ;)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Now that I've heard the ease and swing of large woofers, I think I would struggle to go back to small speakers (in my main room, at least). I count the Cube 1s as a large speaker, though, based on their scale of sound even though they are 'only' an 8" driver.

Simon at HiFi Sound had some nice 57s and said to bring my NVAs over for a listen...but they were sold and collected before I could find the time. Simon reckoned would be a fine combination with chamber music...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I used to lust after Martin logans. Zebbo put paid to that, with his love of the cubes after having logans
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Zebbo and I both heard some lovely sounding Cube 1's at a particular owner's house in West Kent (he'll correct me, but I believe Zebbo bought these Cube 1's when they were replaced by Cubix in this system). This chap had also previously upgraded from Martin Logans admittedly the smaller ones I believe.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

boxswapper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by boxswapper »

I used Ls3/5a with the AP30 a few years back. Well the Stirling V2 version. I know the Doc hated them and advised against their use with his kit but I thought they sounded lovely. The combination of NVA and ls3/5a vocal talents was excellent IMO.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The doc never minded people reaching their own mind, it's sheep he couldn't stand.

He would have said your speakers were shite mind you :grin: