Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

Unread post by Berty bass »

Genuine question this. Beyond it appearing to be used as a disparaging term by Richard when discussing Linn and Naim acolytes, what does it actually mean and what brands' devotees particularly does it have in mind when - presumably - referencing someone who is loyal in their preferences despite evidence to the contrary?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Things have changed so much in the last thirty years with this godamned industry I seriously don't think it applies any more. Linn and Naim barely perform anything like their ancestral products in my recent experiences.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

At the time (1973-1983) it reffered to an ideology of hifi epitomised by linn and naim.

Thing is the term was applied retrospectively.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I recall it going on well beyond 1983. To put it simply it was marketing :Bllocks: to brainwash people into buying kit which was inferior to equipment costing far less. Ivor T was the instigator of this. He stole a floored design and made a fortune through bullshit. It is the worst thing that has ever happened to the industry. His sales practices were illegal and he got away with it through lining the pockets of the Tory party.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Always the brainwash marketing mantra thing coming over here which is largely bollocks I honestly think and largely based on one person's bad memories of *some* dealers in the mid 80's, as the peeps who bought into it for fashion reasons, soon moved the stuff on once the next big thing came along. These two main firms are still around, designing some very interesting kit at competitive prices in their marketplace and *people are impressed enough to buy it still* when there's now a huge choice of competing gear out there! Successful dealers today can't really afford to be so narrow minded (well one may still be, but he's the exception).

The LP12 is no more flawed than say, a Porsche 911 (squashed beetle on steroids) and look how much work went into that that thing and how well it sold and maybe still sells to enthusiasts. Current LP12's are better than ever in a now digital world and there are also good third party updates available to customise it. Naim are another success story, whatever you or I may feel about past decades, starting very small and growing massively over the years. Again, what they're doing now is light years away from the 1980's CB era and they actually measure tons better too by all accounts (I'm comparing a 250DR as measured in Stereophile to the CB 250 as measured more crudely by Martin Colloms in HFC in the mid 80's)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I think of a particular 'flavour' of sound, a particular flavour of marketing, a particular flavour of dealer, a particular aesthetic.

I can respect it as a clever piece of ideological branding, but I grew out of it many moons ago.

The modern Linn and Naim components are overpriced lifestyle 'meh'...

...dealers still love them.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Interesting stuff, along the sort of lines I'd worked out for myself. Seems the likes of Harbeth might be thought of as a honorary member of the same clique too, from my reading of many posts relating to them?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Berty bass wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm Interesting stuff, along the sort of lines I'd worked out for myself. Seems the likes of Harbeth might be thought of as a honorary member of the same clique too, from my reading of many posts relating to them?
They have their own 'BBC' ideology, now with added bling for the Asian market.
I am in the hi-fi trade

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

... and a slightly clearer sound for all the internal component upgrades the anniversary models offered...

savvypaul
Great Britain

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm ... and a slightly clearer sound for all the internal component upgrades the anniversary models offered...
I can't imagine Harbeth owners welcoming a slightly clearer sound :-?
I am in the hi-fi trade