Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

Unread post by savvypaul »

40 year old arguments can be perfectly relevant - ask the Tory Party about Europe.

Many of us here will have experienced the flat earth era first-hand, and many will have owned 'the kit'. It's not entirely surprising that it crops up from time to time. Participation is not compulsory, though... ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

I would not necessarily disagree if all the parameters continue to be the same. Like you I also "owned the kit" difference is I was never involved by any hype and so don't bear any scars. Also I'm not surprised It crops up "from Time to time" it would seem people like to live in the past. As for participating, compulsory or not I didn't then and am even less interested in doing so now Just don't understand the importance or relevance of it today. :epopc:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

well let the thread be and resist the temptation to tell other people what to do.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

So be it. :hand:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:21 pm I would not necessarily disagree if all the parameters continue to be the same. Like you I also "owned the kit" difference is I was never involved by any hype and so don't bear any scars. Also I'm not surprised It crops up "from Time to time" it would seem people like to live in the past. As for participating, compulsory or not I didn't then and am even less interested in doing so now Just don't understand the importance or relevance of it today. :epopc:
Most of my equipment is over 40 years old. It's still relevant today by - sometimes, but not always - winning bake-offs against modern kit.

Or at least it's relevant to someone who doesn't mind buying used, having kit that looks old, and when it comes to speakers, having large to huge ones.

I was massively hooked into the hype. In those days there was no internet and no culture of having bake-offs. If there had been, it's highly unlikely that I would have bought the Linn equipment that I did, brand new from dealers. I would have had a better sounding system for less money.

And there are still plenty of people today that think that Linn or Naim offer something special when it comes to sound quality.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Go ask flatpopely what it means, he knows all about it. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm Go ask flatpopely what it means, he knows all about it. :grin:
He thinks that his Linn Saras are "Superb". Whilst I think that in my room it's like listening to a band that are on the pavement in front of my house and I've got 2 letterboxes open to let the sound through. That's when compared to my Bozak Symphonies, EV Sentries, EV Patricians. Saras don't have the in room authority of those speakers.

My Saras are used as the rear speakers in my 5.0.2 Atmos AV system, where they do a fine job.