mass loading speakers

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: mass loading speakers

Unread post by karatestu »

guydarryl wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm
Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 pm steel it is then, bound to be someone local who sells it. Will try just the steel first, see what they sound like, then maybe the port as I blocked it of before but preferred the straws, suck and see. Many thanks
was that deliberate ? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Didn't think anyone noticed :roll:

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

I would like to say well done to everyone at nva during this difficult time. I had occasion to return my cubetts for repairs a little while ago and was concerned that at this time it might just seem a bit petty? The service I have received has been beyond anything I hoped for, who ever dealt with this is a star. The speakers arrived back yesterday superbly packed and looking better than when they were sent (what do you clean these things with) They are playing now and it just makes me know how much I missed them! I really hope that that nva continues and does well in the future. As a late comer to these products, ls1,scc cubetts I just wish I had got there earlier, could have saved me a great deal of wasted time and money! Anyway enough now, just to say thank you for a great product at great price and the service, but most of all for the music🎶

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Update on arcam 2s All the drivers etc out and just picked up the 5mm steel plates cut to fit through the base driver hole. Got enough for all 6 surfaces, though a little bit unsure how I'm going to cut them around driver hole, lots of hs saw bits and my trusty jigsaw! Thinking it might be worth getting someone to check out the crossovers ,they are 30/40 years old now? Might as well I suppose as I have no great electrical skills! Changing a plug I can manage and basic soldering but that's about it. Ordered some bison of eBay should be here by the weekend and I'll get stuck in.

karatestu
Great Britain

If they are electrolytics, just replace the capacitors in the xover. If they are film caps don't bother. They should have markings to tell you what value they are. Resistors and inductors don't degrade. Job done apart from checking all the solder joints :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

I know it sounds stupid, but how would I identify them, electrolytics? im really not that good with this stuff, but would give it a go if I knew what I was looking for! many thanks for your input, by the way how is the sony cdp working out? :epopc:

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

:( second thoughts, maybe I should just farm this out to someone who knows what they are doing

karatestu
Great Britain

Can you take a pic of the capacitors ? Electro's are usually cylinder shaped with flat tops and bottoms. They will probably have a u or uf value printed on them. Film caps are usually oblong or square shaped. Don't pay to have it done. I will help through the forum if you want.

Sony cdp-s1 is going great. Still haven't put it through my main system though.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

thanks stu, will try to take some pics and post, I appreciate your offer.