Which Cubes

All general audio posts go here.
Principia

Which Cubes

Unread post by Principia »

I'm tempted by the discount available at the moment on the Cubes, now I know I can always return if not right but would be grateful for any advice on which model to choose for my room. 3.4m L x 3.5m W x 2.8 H, Amplifier is 30w. The room isn't the best so could very well benifit for semi omni approach.

I'm thinking of Cube 2 or 1

Grateful for any advice
Cambridge Audio CXC, NVA SSP Digital, Primare DAC 30, NVA P90, Jadis CA30, NVA LS6, Quad 57's

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Which Cubes

Unread post by karatestu »

I have some diy cube type speakers using nva drivers in a similar sized room to yours. Massive 90 L cabs with 12 " bass drivers. So size is not an issue usually. Amp size not a problem either.

Get the best ones you can afford. Cube 1 have bigger mid bass divers for more bottom end. Do you listen at trouser flapping volumes ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I have done several diy cubes, first size were between 1 & 2 then bbc clones- my room is 3m x 4m & each speaker filled it. The sound gets ‘bigger’ / deeper so I would go with the biggest u can but allow for Ls5 or Ls6 in the budget
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Remember that the cubes work with a domestic room and not against it. They don't work in rooms with massively high ceilings - so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

Next, they need to be near a wall, because that allows you to 'tune' the bass/mid-range - you move the cubes in and out from a rear wall until you find the mix that you like. Then you toe the tweeters in (much more than standard speakers) until the sound is as focussed as you want. I've heard exactly the same pair of Cubes in NVA systems in different rooms sounding very different.

The only difference as you go up the range is the size of the cabinet and the bass/mid range driver - the bigger the cab, the more bass extension you get. But I think even the smallest cubes (and I have Cubettes and Cube 2s in other rooms) will fill the room with music.

I see you have ELS57s at the moment. I expect they are three or four feet into the room to get them to work properly. I had some as my first 'proper' speakers and I have a friend who has the german reproduction 57s made from the original tooling. My 57s were about three feet out in a room similar to yours. My friend has a more rectangular room and has the speakers aligned with the long axis but almost a third of the way into the room. What I'm suggesting is that you've probably get a couple of square metres of your room back with the cubes. :grin:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Ed345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ed345 »

My ceiling height is 3m, is that considered high? Width is about 4m, and listening position about 4m from the back wall. Another 5m or 6m of space behind the listening position. I assume that the Cube 1 would be more suitable to the room volume.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

If you like large orchestral works then the 1s have the scale and dynamic ease required...and the clarity, and the timbre, and the imaging.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Principia

karatestu wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:05 pm I have some diy cube type speakers using nva drivers in a similar sized room to yours. Massive 90 L cabs with 12 " bass drivers. So size is not an issue usually. Amp size not a problem either.

Get the best ones you can afford. Cube 1 have bigger mid bass divers for more bottom end. Do you listen at trouser flapping volumes ?
Thanks Stu no flapping required.
Cambridge Audio CXC, NVA SSP Digital, Primare DAC 30, NVA P90, Jadis CA30, NVA LS6, Quad 57's

Principia

terrybooth wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm

I see you have ELS57s at the moment. I expect they are three or four feet into the room to get them to work properly. I had some as my first 'proper' speakers and I have a friend who has the german reproduction 57s made from the original tooling. My 57s were about three feet out in a room similar to yours. My friend has a more rectangular room and has the speakers aligned with the long axis but almost a third of the way into the room. What I'm suggesting is that you've probably get a couple of square metres of your room back with the cubes. :grin:
Thanks Terry, Yes the 57's are about 3 ft out and the extra space would be welcome. Mine have never sounded right i the room hence the thought to try the Cubes

Principia

Latteman wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:34 pm I have done several diy cubes, first size were between 1 & 2 then bbc clones- my room is 3m x 4m & each speaker filled it. The sound gets ‘bigger’ / deeper so I would go with the biggest u can but allow for Ls5 or Ls6 in the budget
Thanks got LS6's already, some amps would give me the full NVA experience but will have to wait until another day

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't have any experience of the smaller cubes but having owned Cube 1's for some time, before moving to Cubix-Pro!, I can wholeheartedly recommend them. My room dimensions are larger than yours but only slightly and somewhat odd shaped but they worked very well. If you've lived with ESL57's I'm sure you'll like the big, open sound that the Cubes give compared to "point & squirt".
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: