Understanding Cubettes

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Understanding cubetts

Unread post by CN211276 »

BilliumB wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:25 am Would Cubetts, or something higher up in the range, be the perfect speakers to use on a kitchen worktop for a simple kitchen system?

Or, given that the worktop will be about 900mm high, would I need to add a shelf for them higher up on the wall? Need to work best for listening to the radio when standing or sitting on a stool in the room.

Thanks, cheers. Bill
Cubettes work very well for me on a cupboard in the bedroom.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

2011stockdg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by 2011stockdg »

BilliumB wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:25 am Would Cubetts, or something higher up in the range, be the perfect speakers to use on a kitchen worktop for a simple kitchen system?

Or, given that the worktop will be about 900mm high, would I need to add a shelf for them higher up on the wall? Need to work best for listening to the radio when standing or sitting on a stool in the room.

Thanks, cheers. Bill
They should work very well. The sound tends float I find with them so it's not as critical regards where you are in relation to the speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Thanks, cheers. Bill
The back wall is the critical thing, I have a customer only using them at about 18 inches up and because of the top driver the image is on the wall above them. Toe in and the wall disappears and you have depth.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My old MDF Cube3 (roughly the same as Cubette) speakers are mounted as close to the back wall as possible without touching. Toed-in about 30deg and about 1.70m apart.

Sounding very fine with excellent, deep bass.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

The cubes take a bit of getting used to coming from point and squirts. Everything you thought you knew about speaker placement goes out the window. Mine are 2.5m apart and drastically toed in. The back corner is 20mm from the wall and the toe in is about 45°. I sit about 2.5 m from the speakers. This means that if you draw a line from the centre of the speakers they cross over roughly half way between the distance to the listening position.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That will give massive image depth, flat on gives you Cinemascope image.

Chunk McDaniel

Yep the image and depth are incredible. Sounds seem to just appear from nowhere the speakers just disappear. If you were blindfolded you could not pinpoint the speaker position . It's magical. On a good recording you would swear the vocalist was in the room.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is great fun to be had with the Cube design concept. The two I am working on are for even bigger image and extended bass, which because of the design is basically infinite - organ notes to shake the house. It started with me wanting to use a 12 incher as it was in my doc mods portfolio, so the Big Bastard Cube was born (BBCube) they shocked me how good they were at extending both these parameters while retaining all the other assets of the design, one pair sold and traded for Cube1 and he is well happy.

The next step is to take the 12 incher into isobaric mode with two BBCubes acoustically coupled and then three of them as with the old Cubix Pro. Obviously far from cheap design. But I think I will only do this now with the 12 incher because it is so much better than the 8 incher (the likes of JBL knew *exactly* what they were talking about and doing). The bass *should* be astonishing. Hopefully I can show these at a show latter in the year. Not doing the NW one, not good value for silly small bedrooms, but the National is a lot better and I am booking a bigger room for them.

So amps are on back cooking plate but looking at changing to 15amp from 10amp Darlingtons in the bigger amps, proto-ing that ATM. This year will be speaker year. May look at DACs again after that as I am *extremely* unhappy with the quality and reliability of the new expensive programmable ones, I don't want more fried amps from them, answer do it yourself. NVA principle, simplicity and massive power supplies.

Chunk McDaniel

Sounds awesome Doc. I think DAC's are a good project for NVA. There are a lot of companies at the moment selling DAC.s at highly inflated prices for no musical benefits. Would be great to see NVA dramatically change that .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Wont be cheap, already recommend a really cheap Chinese one, my famous £5 DAC which with decent Linear PSU already shows up most expensive ones. This will be that simple DAC circuit (but parallel boards which I have tried and it really works) with a Big Bastard PSU (BBPSU), so think over £1000 but not much over.