Sub- ject.

All general audio posts go here.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Sub- ject.

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

There seems to be a large percentage of people completely writing off the use of subwoofers in a 2 channel music set up. I am sure they have valid reasons although I have not yet read any detailed explanations why.
Are there any members here tried subs in particular with NVA cubes.
I wonder if adding quality well integrated dual active subs could only bring benefit. Either REL or SVS sealed boxes left and right channel connected high level.
There are no speakers that will give a true 20 -20k range but by adding subs this could be achieved.
What are your experiences and thoughts guys.
Surely a true full range of sound is better than a compromise off rolled of bass and missing information.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sub- ject.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A sub woofer will RUIN a nva system - full stop. 1/ the way most are connected via the speaker outlets will drive the nva circuit unstable 2/ the only safe way is via a line level out. 2/ the bass timing and information will be all to pot, which is the strong point of Cubes so this will be lost. 3/ the way the Cube works with the room instead of fighting it will be lost and the precise bass note image from the Cubes will be lost. 4/ the only possible advantage is a *perceived* lower bass output from the system but that will *not* be in tune and purely a hi-fi bi-product.

For me they are a musical disaster and should be avoided like the plague, if you want more bass buy bigger drive unit speaker, sub woofers are a half arsed non solution.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 pm There seems to be a large percentage of people completely writing off the use of subwoofers in a 2 channel music set up. I am sure they have valid reasons although I have not yet read any detailed explanations why.
Are there any members here tried subs in particular with NVA cubes.
I wonder if adding quality well integrated dual active subs could only bring benefit. Either REL or SVS sealed boxes left and right channel connected high level.
There are no speakers that will give a true 20 -20k range but by adding subs this could be achieved.
What are your experiences and thoughts guys.
Surely a true full range of sound is better than a compromise off rolled of bass and missing information.
I used to have a Wharfdale subwoofer and was pleased with the results, but it took careful adjusting. When i got Cube 3s I found that it did not add anything and the system sounded better without it. I was not losing any bass extension either. The Cube 1s I have now produce far deeper bass than the sub did.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My EV Patrician's are full 20hz to 20khz speakers. That's what 30" bass drivers do for you.

You don't miss out too much with 30hz to 20 khz speakers and 40 hz to 14khz speakers are OK too.

I'd like to DIY some 24" woofers in a sealed box. But I've not been able to see any at a price I'm comfortable with. So I've been on the look-out for certain 18" drivers that should work OK in a sealed box... For subs I can't see a lot of point in going smaller than 18". Because when you've got a 15" (or smaller) driver you haven't really got a sub-woofer, you've got a woofer.

By all means give subs a try with your system if you can do it without lashing out any money that you can't get back.
It's almost worth doing as an education to see what it does and doesn't do to your music with your ears in your room.

NVA Cubes are not some tiny little 2 way ported speakers. They actually have reasonable sized woofers and no bloody ports and this shows in that bass instruments actually sound like bass instruments.