All general audio posts go here.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
hifiseptic
Great Britain

advice on change

Unread post by hifiseptic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:01 pm

well, new to this forum and here because of my recent purchase of ls1 cable and the need to find out more. As said in my previous post since getting these cables things have changed :grin: most of my kit has been in boxes in the cupboard for years, all owned from new by me. So, decided to have a clearout lots of stuff went, still more to go but the stuff listed in my signature I decided to hang on to? Then the new cables arrived so I thought id give them all a run and see what happened, for the first time the difference between amps speakers etc became much clearer the little cyrus coming out on top with the rogers very close behind. As for the speakers, no contest little arcam2s! Don't want to bore you with the how and whys,so to the point. I think the kandy amp rega and dynaudios will be going and the lp12 little cyrus and rogers will stay until I sort this next bit out. Would be looking to replace it all well, maybe keep the arcams, and from what i got from the cables im thinking nva. Troble is what? could do with a little more grunt than the cyrus or rogers but don't want to loose the musicality they give, also though I know all can be returned or px I would just like to make a one off purchase and start listening again! so any help advise would be really appreciated :pray: thamks.
current stuff, source: 82 lp12,lvx,at95 paratrace, roksan kandy cd, amps: kandy mk111,rega mira, original cyrus1,rogers a75mk2, speakers,: arcam2, dynaudio audiance60s, chord interconnectors, ls1cables.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Re: advice on change

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Cubettes and SSC or SSP Interconnects. Both on offer - Cubettes here and Interconnects at ebay. NVA Interconnects will do the same job for you as NVA speaker cable.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

I had Arcam 2+ until a break in 25 years ago. Really good standmounts. I would say from memory that the Cubettes are an improvement apart from bass extension. Even then possibly tighter / less bloom. Actually I suspect NVA use a similar tweeter.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I rebuild my tweeter. It is not the same as anyone elses.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I still have a pair of the original version Arcam One speakers from the mid-80's.

Lovely, sweet-sounding boxes.

Cubes are better.
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube3
Pi: Allo DigiOne Signature/Volumio/Tomanek LPSU/Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AQ NightHawk & NightOwl Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic Plus + Sbooster LPSU

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Where you start partly depends on where you want to end up, ime.

Try to hear an all NVA system - amps, cables, cubes / cubettes.

However, if you only want to change one thing - speakers. Again, from experience.
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2/ Lenco 88 / ATP-12t / Denon 103 / GSP Revelation / Vortexbox Appliance / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Metrum dac / UR Simply Italy /NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / Klipsch Heresy 3 /NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H / Grado sr225e

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

I would advise you to consider the NVA “starter system” A20/P20 and a pair of cubettes. I only have heard the A20 and it is a superb power amp and just staggeringly good value. I ran it with a P90SA into a pair of cube 3s and could easily have lived with it on a permanent basis.

You will need a phono stage. My first NVA purchase was a phono 1 which I bought in the knowledge that I could return it if not happy. I now own a full NVA system (pre/power, interconnects, speaker cables and speakers).

All I can say is that NVA is the best value for money I have ever owned and that the musical performance is also the best I have ever heard.

There are also several people around the country who are willing to host a listening session (see separate thread). It might be worthwhile to have a listen somebody’s system although as we all know, there is no substitute for listening in your own home.

Good luck with your search and have some fun !

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:24 pm

I don't know what tonearm you're using on the LP12, but an '82 vintage one is woefully out of date and WILL sound as bad today as peeps here say. A paratrace on an AT95 will sharpen and clarify the highs though, but the bass..... depends on the deck's plinth and main bearing if the rest is original. A Rega Planar 6 Neo may well be better today, with same cartridge fitted, as long as you site it right. A Tiger Paw top plate and cross strut may sort the old ringy plinth though...

Of the three amps you list, the Mira would be my choice, as it's basically clean, tidy and pretty honest with some power there. I never ever bonded with a Kandy (lots of noise but where's the music?) and the Cyrus One is a scrappy terrier of a thing which rings harshly when pushed - it's limits are very low I remember and subjectively way lower than an A20 for example I feel. The Cyrus One and Two had basically a built in passive volume control though, as the line inputs and phono stage went to the volume pot with no buffering and then straight to the power amp section... By their demise twenty odd years ago the only one that was competitive was the Cyrus 2 but ONLY with the PSX added I remember...

A thumbs up for the Arcam 2, but how they'd really compare these days I don't know. Back then, I felt them better than the gear they were often used with and old reviewer pal Jimmy Hughes had some for years with great results with his DNM amps before he got Impulse H2's which are 'slightly' larger ;)

I can't really say what NVA amps to look at, as you get more as you go up the range, I still work on the vibe that you can never have too much 'power,' but I have to admit the A20 is so forgiving if stretched compared to other amps, you may not feel you need any more. For myself, the extra 'ease' in a larger NVA is appreciated, but that varies from person to person...

hifiseptic
Great Britain

Unread post by hifiseptic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm

owned the linn since 1982, because I liked the way it sounded no hype involved ,im sure there are better but have never felt the need to change, it just plays the music. agree on the roksan as for the rega sounds a little bit flat? to my ears like your in the other room but musical? little cyrus lacks power and when pushed gets a bit brittle, but never the less plays music.so I suppose what im looking for is a cross of cyrus an d rega, or better! many thanks for your reply.
current stuff, source: 82 lp12,lvx,at95 paratrace, roksan kandy cd, amps: kandy mk111,rega mira, original cyrus1,rogers a75mk2, speakers,: arcam2, dynaudio audiance60s, chord interconnectors, ls1cables.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Like you, I listened to and enjoyed the LP12 - still enjoying it after thirty something years ( I think it was one of the last pre Cirkus) so overall cost has been a bit of a bargain. Must admit that current price LP12 would need to be passed on for a few generations to get the same return on investment.
No problem using it with NVA.
LP12,Ittok,DV10X5,Phono2(twin supply),P50/A40's,LS5,SSC,Rega Ela mk1/Cube 3's
Sony cdp xb930,Alessandro ms1