advice on change

All general audio posts go here.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Quarknosis

Re: advice on change

Unread post by Quarknosis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm

The only amp that I have heard from your kit is the Cyrus and my AP20 and P50sa/A20x easily better it. For me the stepped attenuator made a big improvement and I would always recommend buying one if you can afford to.
NVA BMU - NVA Phono 1 - Systemdek IIX/Rega RB250/Denon DL160 & Philips CD 104 with NOS mod - TIS & SSP mkii - NVA AP70sa - Epos ES11.

hifiseptic
Great Britain

Unread post by hifiseptic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:56 pm

Yep mine pre circus too ,I know how much s.....t has been said about this deck but I still have my goldring gl75 it replaced ,good deck just not the one I use :grin: each to his own :guiness;
current stuff, source: 82 lp12,lvx,at95 paratrace, roksan kandy cd, amps: kandy mk111,rega mira, original cyrus1,rogers a75mk2, speakers,: arcam2, dynaudio audiance60s, chord interconnectors, ls1cables.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:43 am

I can speak about the LP12 because I work with and on them on occasion professionally still from time to time locally and have had the means to hear how it's progressed over the years as well as hearing one or two of the third party updates (as well as absolute effin' after market botches out there) - that's why I keep banging on about them. An '82 one with lighter tonearm than an Ittok say, is doable (I cite a well sorted Basik Plus as one tonearm example), but the Ittok spoils the bass on pre-Cirkus decks and the classic cartridges of the day muffle the top end,making for a highly musical 'sludge,' confirmed up at Linn on a very memorable visit ("Sure it's crap, it's better than everyone elses crap, but yeah, it's still crap!" - said in a highly Glaswegian voice by one of Linn's high-ups back then after the master recording annihilated the vinyl in a direct comparison). The Cirkus bearing plus sub chassis update was a transformation for the better. Such a tragedy the prices are so high. Mind you, since the late 80's they always have been and weren't very good before this time, when wealthy germans used to buy here and take back with them. The local price increases ended that, so we Brits were screwed over yet again.

I apologise, but a Cyrus One has NEVER been a 'musical' amp in any shape or form, even the later ones with solid cast casework. If you think one of these is 'musical' you're going to get your head blown off when you hear a proper amp able to reproduce subtle tonal inflections and the 'emotion' behind a well produced piece of music. Strong words, but I lived with the effin' Cyrus range in our dem rooms for years (our sales director had an annual skiing trip courtesy of Cyrus way back then based on orders placed and sales volume and we were all but forced to sell them regardless). A Two plus PSX is still ok, but not really a One, it's just not powerful enough and it does begin to get unhappy long before clipping is reached - and a Cyrus One tells you in no uncertain terms when it's limit is reached. A Mira, even the toppier-toned recased model of the noughties which isn't as gracious as the original clamshell model I loved so much, should clearly out-perform it I reckon on more dynamically demanding music.

Up to the OP of course. NVA do a trade-up scheme, so if an A20/P20 is tried and found not enough, it's easy to go up the range. Same with the cables...

P.S. I now have a minty GL75 (as well as a GL78 in bits) again, waiting in the wings. I can't tell you much better a serviced one with fresh exit audio cables was over a Linn Axis/Akito, both with same (K9) cartridge. Looking forward to servicing it and getting it going properly. This'll be my fourth GL75 now, although two didn't last long as the main bearings were shagged and this long before replacement sleeves could be obtained and fitted (all on Lenco Heaven). Older 60's decks like the Docs G99 had much better toleranced main bearings with no slop or wobble.

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

If you can, compare your LP12 against a good idler, such as a Garrard 301 or 401. Thorens 124. Lenco (various models). Or decent direct drive. One of the heavier ones. Not the cheap lightweight plastic crap.

A few years ago I had a 1983 LP12 that had been upgraded to Cirkus, Lingo 2, late Ittok, Troika.
After reading about a bake-off at the Docs home where a variety of inexpensive used Japanese direct drives beat a similar spec LP12, I was inspired to try an EMT 930 with a Denon 103 cartridge. The EMT sounded like a grown up LP12. The LP12 sounded like an adolescent. I then also bought an EMT 950 when I saw one going for a good price in Austria. Since then EMT's have shot up in price and I can no longer recommend them unless you find one at a bargain price. Anyway, the point being that the LP12 was never the best turntable in the world. Not even close. Even though it was marketed as this.

Speakers are a personal choice. I like big, tatty, ugly, broken classic 1950's to 1970's American speakers. Because they're cheap and sound OK, once fixed. I can understand why some like NVA speakers, because they're small, reasonably priced for new kit and sound OK. I've also enjoyed a variety of DIY speakers, many of which have been very cheap and sounded OK, and some of which have cost a bit and sounded as good as any speakers I've ever heard.

A good starting point would be going to the Wigwam forum Kegworth Show. Or going to or hosting a few bake-offs.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 am

+1
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2/ Lenco 88 / ATP-12t / Denon 103 / GSP Revelation / Vortexbox Appliance / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Metrum dac / UR Simply Italy /NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / Klipsch Heresy 3 /NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H / Grado sr225e

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am

One thing I have discovered if you don't use NVA at home and live with it then you really don't know what it is capable of, especially the speakers.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am
One thing I have discovered if you don't use NVA at home and live with it then you really don't know what it is capable of, especially the speakers.
+1
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

guydarryl wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:20 pm
Like you, I listened to and enjoyed the LP12 - still enjoying it after thirty something years ( I think it was one of the last pre Cirkus) so overall cost has been a bit of a bargain. Must admit that current price LP12 would need to be passed on for a few generations to get the same return on investment.
No problem using it with NVA.
Head in the sand there i'm afraid. Gyro or better Orbe way better (+NAS favoured by DSJR), and I suspect the P6 and even possibly the latest P3 suitably isolated. Some people swapping 0ut old Lp12s for the Technics GAE. Plenty discussion elsewhere (and heated argument). Whole threads on Hoffman forum. I'm sure latest Linns are a whole lot better but the prices are just crazy.

CaterhamKev
Great Britain

Unread post by CaterhamKev » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

What ever you choose, you need to be able to listen to it in your system, in your home.

hifiseptic
Great Britain

Unread post by hifiseptic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

just as a note I may have done the rega amp some injustice as when I first got it back out of storage and played it sounded distant and got very hot so sent it back to rega for service etc. On its return I only ran it to make sure it worked, so have connected it up running a cd on repeat and will reassess it once its run for a day. Just ordered some ssc, cant wait to hear them! Thanks for all your input, it really is interesting to hear other views, good and bad!
current stuff, source: 82 lp12,lvx,at95 paratrace, roksan kandy cd, amps: kandy mk111,rega mira, original cyrus1,rogers a75mk2, speakers,: arcam2, dynaudio audiance60s, chord interconnectors, ls1cables.