Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Cartridge for PL71

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Sounds perfect mechanically - compliance wise - for this arm. Just don't use a 'holey' SME style headshell with it.

I've 'done' a couple of recent Lyra's recently and like them a lot, including the expensive Linn Kandid derivative (I think the makers of Lyra make this one). I think tracking weight is suggested at 2.1g (done with a digital scale). Cartridges like this (If I have the right one) major on precision and stability as well as the timbral/tuneful nature of the music coming across - definitely not a 'clinical' sound, but not thick, dull, grainy and stodgy either. Surface noise and negative effects of this should be vanishingly low if my experiences hold.

It's fashionable in some quarters to severely knock the ARO arm, mainly on it's price and who made it. Off this topic, but it's really very good (if you can take the effin' wobble which I don't like), but it needs a decent deck to sound best and the original mid 80's fruitbox-era LP12 just isn't good enough for it. Just sayin loik.....

If the poster above really rates a DL110, he honestly hasn't heard what vinyl can do! the Goldring 1042 used to work in a Rega 3, set slightly tail down, but in a livelier deck, it fizzes and spits in a tuneless fashion with a not very tuneful bass and mid - each to their own and of course, ymmv depending on the arm and turntable. I always found the 10XV and IV rather bland compared to its peers, but not sure of the Shibata tip improves it or makes it even more 'HiFi' than it was before...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have a Denon 110 which i think is excellent. Works very well with my original Rega arm. Cost me £50 new ten years ago.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It's now £200 or so, similar price to an AT-F7 if you shop around (I forgot to mention this one). NO EFFING CONTEST I assure you ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm Sounds perfect mechanically - compliance wise - for this arm. Just don't use a 'holey' SME style headshell with it.

I've 'done' a couple of recent Lyra's recently and like them a lot, including the expensive Linn Kandid derivative (I think the makers of Lyra make this one). I think tracking weight is suggested at 2.1g (done with a digital scale). Cartridges like this (If I have the right one) major on precision and stability as well as the timbral/tuneful nature of the music coming across - definitely not a 'clinical' sound, but not thick, dull, grainy and stodgy either. Surface noise and negative effects of this should be vanishingly low if my experiences hold.

It's fashionable in some quarters to severely knock the ARO arm, mainly on it's price and who made it. Off this topic, but it's really very good (if you can take the effin' wobble which I don't like), but it needs a decent deck to sound best and the original mid 80's fruitbox-era LP12 just isn't good enough for it. Just sayin loik.....

If the poster above really rates a DL110, he honestly hasn't heard what vinyl can do! the Goldring 1042 used to work in a Rega 3, set slightly tail down, but in a livelier deck, it fizzes and spits in a tuneless fashion with a not very tuneful bass and mid - each to their own and of course, ymmv depending on the arm and turntable. I always found the 10XV and IV rather bland compared to its peers, but not sure of the Shibata tip improves it or makes it even more 'HiFi' than it was before...
Thanks Dave, your knowledge is much appreciated.

Lyra argo it is then. Will have to take it off my aro which is sat on a 1989 LP12 :roll: Alfie will probably kill me for saying this but the LP12 will probably get sold as i am not sure i want all the faffing around with it. The user simplicity of the PL71 is very attractive to me right now - i know it's not simple under the hood but i am more than competent with a soldering iron.

Not sure i can part with the Aro as it is very dear to me - not sure why. :think: Maybe too much time spent on pfm. ;)

I still have possible bearing issues with the arm but at least i should put the bloody cartridge on and have a listen first.

ATB, Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Stick with the Argo and see how you get on with it. I had the pleasure of buying the Docs PL71 with a Denon 103. It’s a very nice combo. I keep wondering if I should “improve” the cartridge and wonder if it’s possible without spending a silly amount of money. My guess is that just about any cartridge will work in the PL71 arm and work at or close to its optimum.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dave is bang on about the AT-F7 it's an excellent little MC. I've fitted a good number for various clients and thoroughly enjoyed the resulting performances right out the box and it will get better with breaking in of course.

It's your LP12 m8 - you do with it what you want :lol:

PL71 with Sumiko headshell & DL103 is a safe bet on the PL71's arm. I'm using a re-tipped DL103 with line contact stylus by Soundsmith and I think it's superb, but it's currently on a Techie SL110 and AT1005, another great arm.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.