Headphone and amp advice.

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Headphone and amp advice.

Unread post by Fretless »

I never really liked any Sennheiser's and the Grado 325i was far too bright/shrill for me - although the SR225e is enjoyable.
Do like my AKG K601 and B&W P7 though.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

I've not compared with anything else so this is not advice but more of a "This is what I use...." I have HiFiMan He400i which I think are great but can't use them if anyone else is in the room of if my wife wants to watch tv so for those situations I use Meze 99 Classics. I prefer the more open sound of the 400s but they both seem fine to my cloth ears :-)

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

I can't say anything about headamps, but for headphones, I'm very happy with Beyerdynamics T90. These are open headphones with a very clear and detailed, musical sound with wonderful bass and fit very comfortable. I got mine used for 200 Euros from Ebay Kleinanzeigen and washed the ear pads. They're not build anymore but they are still available in new condition for about 400 Euros.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

In your budget:

New:
1.HiFiMan Sundara ( currently on offer for 350USD)
2.Meze 99 Classics
3.HiFiMan He400i
4 Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO

there is a massive SH market and too many good HPs to list here

Amp:
New:
NVA AP10h

or something bigger with HP socket from used market
AP20 or maybe you can get even AP50

or spend less on HPs get something like Superlux HD681 Evo - cheap and plastic but sound wise very good
and spend more on a bigger new NVA amp and then in some time upgrade to better HPs
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Fretless wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 pm I never really liked any Sennheiser's and the Grado 325i was far too bright/shrill for me - although the SR225e is enjoyable.
Do like my AKG K601 and B&W P7 though.
Back in the olden days of fifteen years ago... There were Sennheisers and Sennheisers. Cheap ones I found scratchy and coloured, the top models were smooooooth and in need of a proper headphone 'amplifier' rather than the lower output of a small op amp (my HD600's distorted on the end of a typical headphone socket as fitted to a source or preamp). I'm told the HD800 is brighter. I've always liked the mid price Grado's and as the mid price ones are apparently often the cheaper model with posher ear pads, I'll leave it to you to research for yourselves..

Some people seem to like the heavy tones of say, one of the huge totally enclosing types, but this head and mind finds this type rather bass-oppressive. I do understand others may find it ok.

I remember the top Beyers a bit spitty, but they may well have refined this by now...

One thing that's incredibly important and that's comfort long-term. The top HD25 with more powerful headband makes my ears sweat, but the lighter band HD25SP (headband basically the original HD414 with an extra cushion) is fine for an hour or two.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Thanks for the replies!

Jeeze, I really didn’t think it’d be this hard to choose some headphones, its a bloody minefield!
But, i’ve put a cheeky bid on a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks and if thats rejected i’ll probably for go for the Meze 99.
The only problem with the Nighthawks is that people seem to either love or hate them with no middle ground, that and Audioquest are getting out of the HP market for whatever reason. But, comfort and bass seems their strongpoint, which is essential to me.
I’ve previously had Grados (225’s if memory serves) and whilst they were very good, they just didn’t tick the bass box.
I’ll hold off getting an amp until i’ve tried whatever HP’s i get with my Musical Fidelity X-Cans & Bushmaster and see how things pan out, but i keep hearing good things about Schiit and for the price it seems a no brainer to give a Magni a go at some point.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The NightHawks have HUGE enveloping bass - but that tightens up as they run in. The older model (wood finish) has a more 'laid-back' presentation than the newer, black Carbon model.

They take a bit of getting used to but the sound is addictive and the comfort is supreme! :grin: :guiness;

Edit:

AudioQuest lost their headphone designer Skylar and reluctantly abandoned the NightHawk project.
The 'phones in the range are now being heavily discounted and sold off.

The first 'wooden' NightHawk comes with a HQ cable that has a rather fragile plug connection - fixed in the Carbon range.

For the price - the Magni-3 is good Schiit.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Bernard Quatermass
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Bernard Quatermass »

I've got Sennheiser HD650s and own two headphone amps. An NVA AP10H and a Schiit Valhalla 2.

Comparing the two amps, the NVA has a wider soundstage and smoother mid/highs. The Schiit has better bass. The AP10H is a bit bass shy for me but definitely sounds more refined.

Two other issues with the NVA. I use an RPi with an IQ audio dac. The NVA picks up buzzing from the RPi power supply. I have the stock supply and an ifi Ipower one. The ifi gives worse high pitched buzzing through the NVA. Both power supplies are unusable with the NVA. Also the NVA is so powerful that I can't turn the volume up more than one "dot" on the volume pot. If off is "7 o'clock" then maximum is "9 o'clock". I'd like a bit more range than that.

I use a 5v battery pack on the Pi when using the NVA and that sounds fine. It's one of the powerpack type things that people use for charging mobile phones. I picked it up in Lidl for a tenner.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It will take 5 mins to adjust if you get it back to me. Power supply buzz 1/ keep them away from each other 2/ as DSJR will recommend - ferrite cores. Bass - the volume adjust should solve that.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:05 pm

I remember the top Beyers a bit spitty, but they may well have refined this by now...

One thing that's incredibly important and that's comfort long-term.
It was the same with me when I listened to Beyerdynamics (don't know which model) in the nineties at a friend of mine. If they changed the sound, or it fit's to aged hearing capabilities, I don't know, but the T90s are just fine and extremely comfortable (much more than two hours!).