Headphone and amp advice.

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Headphone and amp advice.

Unread post by savvypaul »

Bernard Quatermass wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:59 pm I've got Sennheiser HD650s and own two headphone amps. An NVA AP10H and a Schiit Valhalla 2.

Comparing the two amps, the NVA has a wider soundstage and smoother mid/highs. The Schiit has better bass. The AP10H is a bit bass shy for me but definitely sounds more refined.

Two other issues with the NVA. I use an RPi with an IQ audio dac. The NVA picks up buzzing from the RPi power supply. I have the stock supply and an ifi Ipower one. The ifi gives worse high pitched buzzing through the NVA. Both power supplies are unusable with the NVA. Also the NVA is so powerful that I can't turn the volume up more than one "dot" on the volume pot. If off is "7 o'clock" then maximum is "9 o'clock". I'd like a bit more range than that.

I use a 5v battery pack on the Pi when using the NVA and that sounds fine. It's one of the powerpack type things that people use for charging mobile phones. I picked it up in Lidl for a tenner.
You could also check whether the IQ Dac has a variable output option...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Most Pi operating systems (like Rune, Volumio and Moode) allow you to choose for variable output from the Pi unit.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

AntIbbots
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AntIbbots »

Not logged in here for a long time, but anyway...

If still looking for an amp there's a Meier Corda Classic for sale on PFM, he's asking £350 but looking for offers. This is a great amp, I know because I used to own this very one. I used it with HD800, Audeze LCD-2 and MrSpeakers Aeon, worked well with all. I tried many other amps (including Schiit Mjolnir, Phonitor 1 and 2) but kept going back to the Meier. The one for sale was my second one.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... st-3573503

Takeanidea

Unread post by Takeanidea »

Meze 99s are bloated in the bass and therefore complement a bass light source such as a standard turntable with a neutral amp.
Beyer DT990s are more neutral sounding but have a smaller soundstage.
Nighthawk Carbons have livelier sound than the DT990s but aren't as bloated in the bass as the 99s.
The Sennheiser 600s are bass light but moddable to get more bass. They benefit from eqing in more bass and arguably then would beat all of the above.
The Superlux mentioned are good, extremely good. I have removed the outer dust covers from the drivers. They have an exaggerated bass even then but not unpleasant.
Getting the Superlux and experimenting with them and saving for a pair of Sennheiser HD800 or Hifiman HE6 would be my advice. Even those 2 need modding to get them to their best.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I won the auction on the Audioquest Nighthawks for £185 which is a little more than i wanted to pay but they look as new and have both cables, case and 2 sets of ear pads, so not too bad i guess.
Amp wise, i'm going order a Beresford Capella, mainly because of the price and the various adjustments it offers, and if i like it i'll maybe look at a better power supply at some point.
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.