hearing - what is going on!

All general audio posts go here.
guydarryl

hearing - what is going on!

Unread post by guydarryl »

I was teaching a year 8 group a physics topic about sound last week.

Not taught physics for a couple of years, so was quite surprised/disappointed when I got out a signal generator and rigged it up to a speaker (and white board display) so that the pupils could see the waveforms and relate to the sounds they were hearing.

Last time (about four or five years ago) I could hear the sound up to about 14KHz, last week only 10KHz :( (although "aware" of "something" at higher frequencies.
As usual most of the kids were still hearing at 16 KHz+

OK I know that hearing of high frequencies drops off with age but why is it that I noticed tonight that U2 were sounding a bit "shreechy" on my system - adjusted tracking weight up a bit and everything sounds better again - is it down to harmonics/distortion? I thought that I should be blissfully unaware of this given my limited high frequency perception :think:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: hearing - what is going on!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You probably just need your ears syringing.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Pardon?

guydarryl

boom boom!
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1

guydarryl

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm You probably just need your ears syringing.
I did have them syringed about ten years ago - you may have a point, after syringing I could hear my fingers rubbing on rough surfaces, will ask nurse at local surgery whether she can fit me in :hand:

Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

Hearing loss often isn't just a matter of not being able to hear particular frequencies.
It seems that one can lose the ability to hear certain harmonics related to frequencies you can hear.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.