Class D experience

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Class D experience

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As in the title and the post in AoS thread.

I recommend everyone if they have a chance to sample them in their own system, it is the only way for me to prove and show this as the truth. Initially they are impressive, give them time and you realise something is missing and is irritating, this is why retail dems and Hi-Fi Show exposure is just not enough. Write it up, I will create a Class D thread for peoples to post on and disagree with me as much as you like - but from real experience not snap shots, as it is the snap shot that fools you.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Re: Class D experience

Unread post by Berty bass »

Speaking as a bass player Class D has become pretty much the norm in our context. This however is generally due to the considerable advantages the amps offer in terms of portability and size. There is however a significant and vocal community that bemoan the perceived loss of 'heft' (i.e. depth and weight - a kind of bass player's version of the audiophile's 'PRAT' in terms of the way it's tossed into conversations) that accompanies these amps. I wonder if the same difference in presentation might manifest itself when applied to HI-Fi too? I'll follow this thread with interest.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Class D has been around a long time. If there was anything to it in terms of domestic hifi I'm sure it would have caught on decades ago, especially considering the low cost. I recall this technology receiving a bad press in the late 70s, and this was not based on extended listening. Comments were on the lines of the music being lost in technology and losing emotion. I dont think much, if anything, has changed and have no intention of wasting my time auditioning it in my system. The fact that Coherent has embraced it says it all.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Class D is catching on, just not in our little backwater. Don't dismiss the tech based on cheap Chinese made? crap out there, or over-priced crap improperly designed. I understand Hypex can do good things with it so far, even with smps supplies too.

Class D won't be replacing anything I have here any time soon, but please don't stay closed minded that this technology will never work right. Just depends how the switching 'noise' at very very high frequencies can be tamed or dealt with properly I believe so it doesn't mess with other components in the setup.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

FFS how can I be closed minds when I explored the tech twice, one in the 90's and one 10 years ago, I now it will never work musically right, you just have to look at what it does with the signal, and if it didn't do that it wouldn't be Class D. How can it be closed mind to invite you and everyone to comment. I am ASKING people to try it in their systems and write it up here, good and bad, as that is the only way we will get non bullshit opinion. Basically Class D is a non linear circuit same as non linear power supply, as in its simplest form an amp is a power supply regulated by the music. I think we all hear the difference between a Linear PSU and Switched-mode Power supply. That argument is almost won, or is with people who have ears, now we need to understand Switched-mode amplifiers have the same problems and deficiencies.

No one has or will be asked to close their minds to it, especially now the senior slurpers have joined in. Kii - Pureshite, and now Coherent doing the forum scams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

If there was anything to it in terms of domestic hifi I'm sure it would have caught on decades ago
Thing is the devices and techniques available now were not available decades ago. Solid state amps were a bit pants when the only devices were early germanium transistors.

I heard a set of hypex modules driving some quad electrostatics 986's possibly, and they were very very good. That's probably the only D I have heard that I thought were contenders.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

even with smps supplies too
Generally getting switching supplies right is whats pushing class D, they are basically the same thing.

setting son
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by setting son »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 am As in the title and the post in AoS thread.

I recommend everyone if they have a chance to sample them in their own system, it is the only way for me to prove and show this as the truth. Initially they are impressive, give them time and you realise something is missing and is irritating, this is why retail dems and Hi-Fi Show exposure is just not enough. Write it up, I will create a Class D thread for peoples to post on and disagree with me as much as you like - but from real experience not snap shots, as it is the snap shot that fools you.
My experience exactly, Doc. Haven't heard one for a while though so maybe they are improving...

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

The Hypex gear is very good, marginally better with a linear PSU depending if the rest of your kit is shitty mains agnostic. A friend had 989's with added ribbon tweeter and dipole subs, they sound very good at his but he and I prefer the sound of a composite chip amp as it's noticeably sweeter in the treble though both Ncores and chip amp claim around 0.0004% thd + noise at full clip.

Class D amps, amazing for sub and bass drivers, but they sound like MP3 in the treble to my ears.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Class D is common in stage monitors however, I am always at the other end of the system so I very rarely hear what they sound like. Used properly for foldback they do the job reasonably well