Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You I presume know how to use Google, well also we have an archive with a search facility. Search for Cubes and have pages and pages of posts. Including explanations of how a semi omni works and uses the room not fighting it. Perhaps users will give you chapter and verse on the musical result of it, or are you looking for tech / objective reasons, or are wanting an argument and conflict.

Bongobongo
Been thanked: 0
Canada

Unread post by Bongobongo »

No, just a sensible answer

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then find it, I am fed up of repeating things over and over and over and over again.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Here's a good thread to start with...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=45653&hilit=cubes

...and there are several others.

Forums are a great format for dynamic conversations, but a little more effort is required when using them as a reference library.

Either use the forum search box in the top right corner of each page, or do a google search, such as...

https://www.google.com/search?ei=vjBSXP ... J6cW2mtcz4

Hope this helps.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

I buy into the philosophy of NVA cubes

I owned several pairs of Royds in the late 80’s /early 90’s

I have a soft spot for Shahinian speakers having owned 3 pairs and also the rather expensive German Physiks omnis whenever I hear them.

I must try a pair.......
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Victorquartermaine

Unread post by Victorquartermaine »

Shahinians! My first love speakers. A set of Arcs hooked up to a tower of linn boxes including the karik and numeric.. Waiting for a Mr v morrison to come and have a listen. A certain hifi shop in Belfast many years ago

Fearless Fosdick

Unread post by Fearless Fosdick »

My years of chopping and changing speakers of all sorts all British and everyone left me wanting. Been at this since I was 12 now 68.

Then I went to a show and had a listen to the Vandersteen 2CE signature, my ears perked up at last a speaker that is not bullshitting me, it is not trying to impress with a hot high end and overblown bass. Here was a speaker that just said to me listen to this. It was smooth, extremely well integrated, everything just blended, it did not bring attention to its self it just played music. The price was right so I bought a pair on the spot without hesitation.
Broke them in positioned them properly fiddled around a bit and then the magic happened these speakers played everything well they made my bad recordings sound great. Felt no need for a change for years, listened to lots more speakers, and never came away wanting any of them.

One day an add popped up for a pair of mint Klipsch KG 4's, did some digging and decided the price was not at all expensive and bought them.
Heard all sorts of things about Kilpsch being an ear ripper.
What a surprise these boxes made real music, they gave the Vandersteens a run for their money in every respect, except clarity, were not position sensitive, put them in the corners and hey presto no more fiddling about.

So where to know I asked my self. Heritage Klipsch are as rare as hens teeth in the country where I live.
Did some research and decided on the DIY Cornscala "D" two way.
Found the best speaker builder in the country, got the best quality 18mm Norwegian birch ply, everything was CNC cut, boxes are well braced.
Used the Faital Pro pro HF 140 compression drivers, Faital Pro LTH 142 Tactrix horns, Faital pro 15pr400 15 inch driver, got the crossovers form Bob Crites in the states.
Hooked them up, and both the builder and I sat there gob smacked, no need to fiddle around with these, they work. No dampening in the cabinets, no fiddling with the crossover. Horn was a tad harsh at first, but with a little playing time as smooth as butter.
Does not sound like a normal horn speaker, does not shout at you,
Very big, very heavy, ugly big box, got the tightest crisp most detailed bass I have ever heard in a speaker that did not cost an absolute fortune. Tops are clean extended and just do not roll of. Mid's are open transparent, like a breath of fresh air, effortless, Every instrument plays in it's own, space, seamless integration, huge sound stage projects right into the room, speakers all but disappear, image as well as the best. Can listen for 5 hours and more, and still do not want to stop listening. Just put them in the corners of my man cave, no fiddling around, toed them in a bit that's all. Room is approx 27 sq meters
Do everything the Vandersteens do only better, all for about 2,800 pounds. Could have saved a lot on a lesser build but did not see the point, do it as well as.
Only thing that is better is the Sonus Faber Amati Homage (23,500 pounds) but that started to annoy me after a while, could not put my finger on why.
Zingali twenty evo 1.2 was as good (10,000 Pounds) but the bass was just not in the same league as the Cornscala.

So where to now?
I made a killing on Wall Street a few years ago I shot my broker.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Enjoy your music ? sounds like you have got to where you want to be. You mind is not closed, you understand music is not hi-fi (necessarily).

Fearless Fosdick

Unread post by Fearless Fosdick »

Your kit is only as good as how it makes your worst recording sound.

Listened to far to much kit where the bloke has a fit when I ask to play a bad recording.

No no is the answer, you cant play that on my set up it will sound awful.
I say nothing, but always think what is the point of it then if it cant play everything you throw at it well.
I made a killing on Wall Street a few years ago I shot my broker.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Fearless Fosdick wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm Your kit is only as good as how it makes your worst recording sound.
+1
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)