Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Read to learn is not the only way to read.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

I'm perfectly happy with both pairs of speakers I own. In fact, I'm perfectly happy with both systems I own. You can learn from this that it is possible to be contented, though it helps if you're easily pleased.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Contented can be permanent or temp, but if created by self satisfaction and ego that is the danger. We see so many examples on the forums, it is so important for your satisfaction to keep an open mind. Some pretend audio gurus, exampled by Marco who would not change anything in his system he has *invested* his ego and hubris in, he only changes things he can make *his* by modification to try and feed his laughable wanna-be guru status. I single him out because I always do, but there are many like him, maybe not so extreme.

joe

Unread post by joe »

I'm almost ego-less, and have no intention of adopting any sort of guru status. People like what they like, and there's no reason to suppose any particular person would like my systems any more than they'd like my choice of music.

If I came into a lot of money I wouldn't be buying anything hifi-related; I'd have the top room (where the second system lives) double-glazed, because it gets very cold up there this time of year.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You were not being referred to, this is about not closing your mind or being scared to open it in case you lose face. I have never thought of you in those terms. It would be ad hominem if I was referring to you, nothing is specific unless I name them, it generality.

joe

Unread post by joe »

I didn't take your words to mean me personally, I was just rambling on. I would only give advice on audio equipment if a) my opinion was sought and b) if I'd had direct experience of the equipment in question; ie had owned and used it over a long-ish period rather than briefly heard it at a demo or hifi show.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Mr Quackers wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:28 pm
I've heard a pair of Klipsch in the Magnolia section at Best Buy but sadly I haven't had the opportunity to hear any NVA here in the USA.
If I lived in the USA, and had your speakers, I'd buy these today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UREI-809-Mirro ... :rk:3:pf:0

They are pleasantly cheap for the shitting on Spendor from a great height sound quality on offer because they are quite big, ugly and come from a brand that haven't been hyped as much as others.

The USA is the best country in the world for buying good sounding hi-fi for not too bad prices.

charlieboy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by charlieboy »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:51 pm
So, what would you like to learn from a thread such as this?
Well originally just to hear other people's points of view, I have an open mind and always willing to take on new perspectives, and assess for myself if they are valid and meaningful.

But some of the responses I find a bit odd, and unnecessary, so I'll probably just give it a miss for now.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

charlieboy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:00 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:51 pm
So, what would you like to learn from a thread such as this?
But some of the responses I find a bit odd
Why?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Because he is a troll - Brazil my arse.