Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The AR 10pi was when people wanted to get better music, last project at AR before Teledyne bought the company and ruined it. It was a Ray Allison project to take the AR LST on to a more domestic level. I was working for AR (UK) at the time, the 10pi was very good but I still had a big softspot for the LST and two pairs stacked were very very musical, yes there was colour, but there was music so you could adjust, as I say in the first post about the Klipsch. Ray Allison left AR when "the suits" took over, and carried on the work. I followed his work with making speakers not fighting the room and Cubes are a direct extension of this process - we all sit on each others shoulders.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Victorquartermaine
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Victorquartermaine »

I'm going to have to hear some of the cubes! Very interesting post Doc. The suits have a lot to answer for......

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I got into trouble unboxing a brand new pair of LST's for a dem back in '74. Bloomin' glad I did as they sounded superb to me. Big effers though by today's standards..

I only knew the 10 Pi for a short while, but this was another one that had a bit more sparkle than the AR3a's had (the 3a 'Improved' was great though), but you hardly see these around the Uk today sadly. The only AR's we sold after this era were the AR18S's and mainly because Grahams HiFi used to tart them up a bit for a small extra profit...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Victorquartermaine wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:20 pm I'm only getting back into hifi after suffering a family. I picked up a musical fidelity v90 and ar pi ones from ebay. Ashamed too say the source is flac from my phone to a neet dac. In my defence I still have 5 and 9 year old boys in the house. Nice sound but starting to get the bug back. I plugged in an a20 recently purchased and suddenly tracks I know inside out, macy gray I try unplugged, sound totally different. The width of the sound stage ffs. Instruments are to my left rather than left between the speakers. Anyway I'm rambling. When I left hifi 20 or so years ago I had naim. A lot of cash for barely identifible improvements. V90 to a20 massive leap, and at rock bottom volume so as not to wake anyone up, kids in bed. The pi ones continue to surprise they simply disappear. With the a20 they really surprise!!!
My vibe only andnot necessarily shared by others here... To me, nowt wrong with FLAC as long as the phone? can convert them without adding it's own 'stuff' to the process, which will give any DAC a hard time. The Pi One's are a much later box than the 10Pi the Doc and I remember, but don't let that put you off as I'm sure the basic ingredients are ok - and they dont' seem to have the 'bling' of other modern boxes....

In recent times, I've had some listens to *modern* naim gear and to be honest, the only serious gripe I have *now* is the silly pricing. Sure the sound is a bit 'up front,' but to me, the old harshness has long gone and the stuff made since the major cosmetic change of the early noughties *seems* not to drift off so quickly. Anyway, NVA is a totally different kettle of fish and I always did prefer the 'melodic' aspects of the music to the pr@t side, which can often be tuneless and fatiguing taken to excess...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Bongobongo
Canada

Unread post by Bongobongo »

I’ve never seen an explanation of “fight the room”.
What does this mean?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Mostly they haven't been designed for normal rooms they are designed with charts and graphs from anechoic chambers etc. So they are not liking or wanting reflective surfaces around them, this is largely solved by their point and squirt sound distribution making a correct position to listen in line with the beams of music. Reflections interfere hence the market for room acoustic damping guff, and now even worse digital room correction, it is not the room that needs correcting it is correct design of the speaker in the first place. In other words they fight the room, and you may be lucky if the room happens to work as you have it or you are continually messing around to try and get it right. The other thing with speakers like this is they require being away from walls and taking up a lot of space.

Bongobongo
Canada

So, in what way do your cubes not do the same?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

FFS have you read the forum, why do I have repeat things over and over again - look in the archive.

Bongobongo
Canada

Well, crabbitt, as we say in toronto