Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Speakers

Unread post by karatestu »

I love my speakers even though they look like shit. A final build is still to come but i am so busy listening to music through them i cant find the time to build just yet.

I have two pairs of B&W speakers from 1995 and 2000. I still like my transmission line P4's but they are a poor 2nd best when compared to the diy sealed box isobaric 3 ways.
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

This is why I build my own. Last pair I bought was a pair of the first gen quad 11l stand mounts and that was almost 20 years ago. Haven't heard anything to persuade me to open my wallet in a long time
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I remember the 11l at £320pr. I'm informed by a trusted source that back then, the landed cost from China, boxed and ready to go, was *$14 the pair.* No doubt they came in by the few hundred at a time and obviously the exchange rate and so on is different twenty years on, but it forever changed my view of expensive Chinese audio imports - a pair of active tiddlers from a computer firm was around £360pr a few years back. These came in for around £60 I was told.

The smaller Klipsch with copper coloured cones tended to screech to me, but I haven't heard them in a while though and not with a range of different sources and amps.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Never trust anyone who as to rely on 'informed by a trusted source'

If something costs peanuts from china. Prove it . Dont rely on trusted sources.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm
Klipsch

OK this is marketing blurb, but they are American and in their terms this is self effacing. They are different to NVA maybe even not so accurate to the music, what ever that means. BUT they have character. Their own character, BUT that character doesn't interfere with the music.

So there you go I do like at least one other make of speaker, even though I love mine.
I would agree with that summary.

Each time I plug in my Cubes after my Klipsch Heresys, I think the Cubes are fabulous.

Each time I plug the Heresy in after the Cubes, I think the Heresys are fabulous.

The Heresys have definite 'characteristics' - if I write them down in 'sound' terms then you would be unlikely to want to try them. But, listening to them...I do not not care about their flaws. They communicate brilliantly.

I bought my then 1 year old pair of Heresy 3s from an Italian chap who had bought them while living in London. He was moving back to Italy and had decided to get a pair of Cornwalls when he got back. He needed to get the Heresys sold asap and I got a bargain.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

slinger wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:18 pm I appreciate that I'm ploughing a lone furrow here, but I've got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX2 speakers and I like very much how they sound in my main (NVA) system. I can only report what I hear, and I haven't owned hundreds of differing and different speakers like a lot of people here seem to have, and what I hear is good.

Right, form an orderly queue to tell me why I can't possibly be right. All those who have never heard my speakers to the front, obviously. :lol:
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GS20 in my main rig and I rather like them to. Oddly though they have the ports plugged and have decent sized drivers for a modern speaker. Probably the longest I've owned a set of speakers tbh
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

montechristo358 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:48 am
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GS20 in my main rig and I rather like them to. Oddly though they have the ports plugged and have decent sized drivers for a modern speaker. Probably the longest I've owned a set of speakers tbh
I read a review on them that said they just lacked a touch of exuberance.

"In trying so hard to make the perfect speaker Monitor Audio got rid of some good bits in the process. These towers are informative, but don't deliver dynamics with the verve of similarly priced alternatives: it's not a volume issue, as the GS20s go as loud as you like, but more to do with an underlying politeness."

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

possibly not an unfair review to be honest, they prefer more subtle music to outright balls to the wall rock. though my somewhat hard lounge environment doesn't help in that matter.

changing my leather sofas to fabric and adding a a rug helped hugely
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Mr Quackers

Unread post by Mr Quackers »

I simply love my Spendor SP2/3r2 - they are silky smooth and dynamic. Using Belkin PureAv 53001 speaker cable (incredible) and Belkin Synapse Platinum interconnects (amazing). Yamaha Z9 amplifier and ifi itube valve buffer.
Absolute sheer and utter joy.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So you are stuck up a cul-de-sac with no where to go because your mind is blocked - how do you know you can't get better if you don't try.