Value for money Hi Fi - does it exist

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Re: Value for money Hi Fi - does it exist

Unread post by Berty bass »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:39 pm As long as there is transparency companies can charge what they like.

If after full disclosure you want to buy it, then that's up to you.

What we shouldn't have is price being subjected to so much irrelevant ephemera in an attempt to justify it.
I'd be interested to know what you mean exactly by 'transparency' in this case. I can't see any companies publishing their pricing model/strategy, for example, or designs or circuit diagrams for that matter (maybe some do, I don't know). Most company 'mission statements' or design goals are camouflaged with exactly the kind of irrelevant ephemera you refer to, so what else is there to be transparent about?

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Classicrock wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:20 pm Angle Audio (phono stage),
Just did a search out of curiosity and it looks like the website returned by google is presently down. Anyone have any ideas what the current status of Angle Audio is? I'm not in the market as I'm very happy with my Phono 2, just curious as he seems to be based in my old neck of the woods.

Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

Berty bass wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 pm I admit it, for years my perception of 'good' hi fi equipment has been based on a) reviews; b) cost (you get what you pay for as they say...don't you?!) and, c) (more latterly), users comments on forums. However, having joined the NVA fold fairly recently, encouraged mostly by the Doc's clear, unambiguous design philosophy and confidence inspiring adherence to the principles of simplicity, I have come to believe that value and and excellence do not go hand-in-hand in HI-Fi terms (don't knock me, I got there in the end). So, my question is - is there actually any equipment or manufacturer (NVA aside; we're all probably reading this because we already 'buy in' to aspects of the Doc's philosophy already) which can be said to represent 'value for money' in terms of cost vs performance?
I'm still a fan of High Resolution Technologies (HRT) They tore the book up on DAC's. I've had three of their models over the years and the HRT Pro with an adapted linear power supply was the most enjoyable DAC I've had. If these DAC's had better connectivity and more facilities I would still be using one.
Imo even the basic HRT at just over £100 back in the day was about as good as it gets for enjoyable listening. The Benchmark DAC I have is a fabulous piece of kit but it doesn't really sound that much better than the HRT. What it does do is connect to anything and has lots of settings I can mess around with. :-? :mrgreen:
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Berty bass wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:12 am
Classicrock wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:20 pm Angle Audio (phono stage),
Just did a search out of curiosity and it looks like the website returned by google is presently down. Anyone have any ideas what the current status of Angle Audio is? I'm not in the market as I'm very happy with my Phono 2, just curious as he seems to be based in my old neck of the woods.
He's definitely based in mine ;) No idea otherwise. Nothing looks to be sold since October, so maybe he's moved on?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

If it's the same Angle Audio they filed documents with Companies House on 16 Nov 2018.
Directors - GITTINS, Christopher John, Dr & GITTINS, Tracy Kathleen
5 Nursery Walk,
Felixstowe,
England,
IP11 7TE
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X