I am finally at a loss for words.

All general audio posts go here.
Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I am finally at a loss for words.

Unread post by Welder »

I’m curios now. What happens if someone joins HFS and says he/she has bought these things and to their ears they really do make a difference.
Are you going to call them deaf, stupid maybe, a shill?
I can recall some of the flac I got when I split the USB cable to my HRT Pro Dac and attached the power rail to a linear power supply. I got told I was deluded and couldn’t possibly hear any difference.
Same with the Airlink transformer I put between the mains and my kit; apparently this was nonsense as well and this was way before the BMU.
Where does the line get drawn?
No doubt some may say I’m being ridiculous but there are a lot of things in the Hi Fi world that are ridiculous if one was to apply science to the problem, never mind hearing ability; cables for example who in their right mind would pay more than a couple of quid for a piece of wire let alone state they can hear an improvement and the extra £400 they spent was a significant upgrade.
Yep, I think these things are a rip off. I also think any interconnect priced above say £50 is a rip off. I think a lot of stuff in Hi Fi is a rip off.
There seems to be a danger of falling into the trap of wearing a halo because some stuff is possibly less of a rip off then other stuff.
Fascinating really how peoples justification for what they buy and sell works.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't be silly it is perfectly obvious there is a difference. As I said what if I said bottling my gas and selling it and someone said it makes music better. There has to be a point where it stops being possible and becomes ludicrous. All of the things you mention are at least a logical try. Are you telling me three twisted wooden poles or boxes of stones (their other product) have any logic to them. There is a cut off point in common sense and reality and both of these are well below it. The items you mention are above it. There has to be a cut off point, same with all things in life. I could say put your head in a gas oven and switch it on it will help you live longer - do you believe me.

But you also miss the main point and that is the rip off price. Do us a favour buy a set and tell us, let us see reviews, the same as there are many many reviews for cables and BMUs.

In this world there is the possible and the impossible, we all set our point on the line where this changes from reality to fantasy. It is an individual process and needs to be understood. Cable for example I have explained many times, if the system cannot show the difference that large numbers of us know exists then that is their point on the line. Changing gear like removing output interference like transformers changes how the system reacts to the change. Everything has a logical explanation, BMU as well. People can hear it or not and some become very vocal about it, but no one can deny the dichotomy exists. With magic stones and twisty cricket stumps especially at the price being asked goes way beyond *normal* assessment of the probability of reality. Sometime (like this one) it is the ludicrous idea and rip off price, some times as with magic fuses there may be a difference, it is at least an improbable possibility, but the price is what we chunter about more than the concept.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The price of the cricket stumps gives the game away. If two 0s were taken off it would not be laughed at so much. The makers are aware that not many people are stupid enough to fall for the scam. Therefore they want the ones who do to pay big time.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Chopsaw54
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Reminds me of the Peter Belt days.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Peter Belt was ludicrous in product, but not with the rip-off prices.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Welder wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:11 am I’m curios now. What happens if someone joins HFS and says he/she has bought these things and to their ears they really do make a difference.
Are you going to call them deaf, stupid maybe, a shill?...
I'd be more likely to express my experience of the same or similar thing.

And in the case of the wooden trident thing, I'd ask them if they'd tried a far cheaper alternative, such as a set of highly worn cricket stumps - maybe the spring back practice kind to save some drilling.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I'm surprised this piece of foo has not come to your attention before. They have been around for years. Of course it's improbable they make a difference. A woodworking shop could run up the twisty stumps for a few quid and then they could be mounted on a DIY stand. I'm sure I came across them on Tom Port's website - guy in California that sells 'Hot Stampers' of common records at crazy prices. They are a rip of merchant's delight.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

First I have seen of them, the disease runs deep, how many other things like this out there.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Foo or product that works.

The difference?

Best just comment personally and avoid genralisations