Have Music and Hi-Fi become two different things.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Have Music and Hi-Fi become two different things.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:54 am IME musicians taking a line of coke = talking a lot of bollocks, being very annoying, over playing and speeding up (or trying to).
Savvy wasn't being literal.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:50 am
karatestu wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:54 am IME musicians taking a line of coke = talking a lot of bollocks, being very annoying, over playing and speeding up (or trying to).
Savvy wasn't being literal.
I know, just ignore me :whistle:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I will NEVER ignore you, I learn too much from you, and that is apart from the entertainment.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

If the term 'hi-fi' (high fidelity in fullness, we should remember) attempts to describe the ability of equipment to resolve as efficiently and comprehensively the musical information available to it from a given medium I don't see how that can be anything other than beneficial musically-speaking also. I definitely think the issue here is the language used as a descriptor - is it this that creates a (perhaps) false distinction between the two (hi fi vs musical) or, indeed, a totally spurious one?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lurcher300b wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 am
You don't have an emotional connection when you play your records?
Yes, of course I do.
I know you do; it's the only explanation for some of those 'noodly' tracks you played at the MCRU bake-offs ;)
Lurcher300b wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 am Yes, of course I do, but I don't find that that is different if I listen to a HiFi or in the car on on the kitchen radio. My emotional connection is to the music not the equipment its being played through.
Then the difference with a hifi over the kitchen radio is the intellectual connection?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:01 pm
Toontrev wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 pm Apologies if I missed the point of the post. Just listened to track from American guitarist Phil Keaggy. Couldn't care less about how HiFi it sounded but musically it was spellbinding. Totally immersed in the performance. Would be enjoyable on my car stereo but on my home stereo just more so.
You have an advantage...as a Newcastle fan, you are used to disengaging your brain, at will ;)
Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. !

There is more than an element of truth in your observation, I gave up many years ago listening too critically to my music as it was spoiling the enjoyment.. I blame owning an LP12 for far too long, looking for something that didn't exist. Never been happier since I got rid and have what I have now. Only regret is coming to the party 35 years too late.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Berty bass wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:58 am If the term 'hi-fi' (high fidelity in fullness, we should remember) attempts to describe the ability of equipment to resolve as efficiently and comprehensively the musical information available to it from a given medium I don't see how that can be anything other than beneficial musically-speaking also. I definitely think the issue here is the language used as a descriptor - is it this that creates a (perhaps) false distinction between the two (hi fi vs musical) or, indeed, a totally spurious one?
Not IME. They have proved to be two different things. Those that choose with and referring to music, tend to be happy and only if they want to they progress it because they know what they are looking for. Those that choose with hi-fi reviews and referring to sound or reviewer speak tend to be unhappy and constantly chasing their arse around in circles, because they don't know what they are looking for.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm
Berty bass wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:58 am If the term 'hi-fi' (high fidelity in fullness, we should remember) attempts to describe the ability of equipment to resolve as efficiently and comprehensively the musical information available to it from a given medium I don't see how that can be anything other than beneficial musically-speaking also. I definitely think the issue here is the language used as a descriptor - is it this that creates a (perhaps) false distinction between the two (hi fi vs musical) or, indeed, a totally spurious one?
Not IME. They have proved to be two different things. Those that choose with and referring to music, tend to be happy and only if the want to they progress it because they know what they are looking for. Those that choose with hi-fi reviews and referring to sound or reviewer speak tend to be unhappy and constantly chasing their arse around in circles, because they don't know what they are looking for.
Interesting that. Given that anything that comes between the music at the point of creation - whether it is the microphone through which it is recorded (usually but not necessarily always) or the speakers in your listening room - and reproduction is a filter, I've always thought of 'hi-fi' as that which renders the reproduction as faithfully as possible to the originally played (or sung) sound. It's in that sense - and that sense only - that I see 'hi-fi' as beneficial to musical reproduction. But maybe that's not hi-fi at all as it turns out?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We work with what we are given, it has nothing to do with what made up (created) what we are listening to. It has precisely nothing to do with what I am talking about. You can do it with 78's and they are pretty low hi-fi don't you think. I can make 78's better and more musically enjoyable, but still not hi-fi.

I work with a source, what is the point in worrying about things you don't control, apart from complaining or praising it, that is what the music threads here are for.

Hi-Fi wasn't originally bullshit if you go back to its origins with Decca FFSS and Capital in USA. Per usual when a market is created the slurpers, the users, the hanger on, and the bullshitters jump on board. For me it started with the BBC *employees* using what should have belonged to the BBC so created a bullshit, then we had Linn and Naim and the flat earth, and now just about everything is bullshit.

All created by the market that was selling hi-fi rags and eeeediots like Christ Frankland. We have the opportunity now of telling how it is, but first it has to be seen as what it is.

Berty bass
Great Britain

I may well have misunderstood - your point is that Hi-Fi as an industry has nothing to do with enjoyment of (recorded) music anymore? That I understand if so.