RIAA

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

RIAA

Unread post by karatestu »

Why does this have to be adhered to ?

+20dB of Bass boost, a defined roll off at the extreme bottom, treble roll off starting in the mid range and falling off at -6dB/octave indefinitely.

Why can't you do your own thing to suit your own system and ears and to hell with this :Bllocks:

Ay ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: RIAA

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Go for it!

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Oh FFS - mumble mumble..... Isn't a Phono 1 simple enough for you?

look, if you're bothered about RIAA, then buy a top grade vintage ceramic cartridge (Sonotone 9TA-HC or 3559/KS41C, BSR SC11M or 12M, or an Acos 104), replace the stylus with a brand new diamond type (Musonic do a single tip for the 3550/41C and BSR always had single tips for their better ones) and make a little line stage for it loading at 1.5M or so - the firm that supplied me with a pair of very simple single JFET boards doesn't seem to do it now, but the basic circuit is here - http://www.muzique.com/schem/eagle.htm

Hang on, I think it's this one - As a high impedance buffer, you don't need all the components, but you'll have to do some reading around on the site to find out more. It takes a 9V supply and I believe I replaced the input supply resistor with a small inductor as suggested somewhere there (I wouldn't do it straight off, so followed instructions).

http://www.muzique.com/schem/multi.htm

I've had great sounds from a well preserved ceramic cartridge and have the above mentioned in my stash. the sound is very 'direct' and surface noise is high, but on singles it seems to work (many 60's singles were mixed and mastered for a Dansette type record player with such a cartridge). The best pickups track at a safe 4g or so.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

look, if you're bothered about RIAA, then buy a top grade vintage ceramic cartridge
RIAA is still in there...

karatestu
Great Britain

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 am Oh FFS - mumble mumble..... Isn't a Phono 1 simple enough for you?

look, if you're bothered about RIAA, then buy a top grade vintage ceramic cartridge (Sonotone 9TA-HC or 3559/KS41C, BSR SC11M or 12M, or an Acos 104), replace the stylus with a brand new diamond type (Musonic do a single tip for the 3550/41C and BSR always had single tips for their better ones) and make a little line stage for it loading at 1.5M or so - the firm that supplied me with a pair of very simple single JFET boards doesn't seem to do it now, but the basic circuit is here - http://www.muzique.com/schem/eagle.htm

Hang on, I think it's this one - As a high impedance buffer, you don't need all the components, but you'll have to do some reading around on the site to find out more. It takes a 9V supply and I believe I replaced the input supply resistor with a small inductor as suggested somewhere there (I wouldn't do it straight off, so followed instructions).

http://www.muzique.com/schem/multi.htm

I've had great sounds from a well preserved ceramic cartridge and have the above mentioned in my stash. the sound is very 'direct' and surface noise is high, but on singles it seems to work (many 60's singles were mixed and mastered for a Dansette type record player with such a cartridge). The best pickups track at a safe 4g or so.
Hi Dave,

You can't get too simple :dance: (well you can, just take me for example :lol: ) but my filter removal escapades have been very promising so far. 7 pole Bessel filter (3 opamps + 10's of resistors and caps per channel) removed from the output stage of my cdp and the music got better. Theoretically it should have sounded worse but for me it did not - more detail, less harshness and fatigue (this is a Naim cdp after all) .

I will leave no stone unturned in my pursuit of more music. As long as things are reversible if it goes tits up then no harm done. Simple is my new middle name after finding this forum, trying some of the doc's simple ideas and finding out that FOR ME they were better very time. Ok doc did not advise me to get rid of the cdp anologue stage, I did that off my own back and reading elsewhere but the earlier success' encouraged me to try to simplify things where ever I can get away with it.

I do not know enough about RIAA yet but i assure you i will eventually and will have a look to see what can be done
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If you remove the riaa correction filter altogether all you will get is what is on the disc. But what is actually on the disc is not what was recorded by the artist.
You can subtly alter the riaa correction filter, but then you wont get what was recorded, you will get a subtly altered version of it. Will that be better? Who knows.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The only way i can see would be to tailor it elsewhere. Say for example a speaker without crossover was doing the inverse of the RIAA curve or you could just alter the crossover to do an inverse RIAA then that would work as long as the amp circuit didn't mind the odd boosted frequency response going through it. BUT then the system is only suitable for a TT.

You won't get rid of the filter in some form, you can simplify or improve how to do it but you still have to do it.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Kara deos it , so we dont have to. His exploits are always fascinating

karatestu
Great Britain

Who is Kara ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew