Speaker cabinets - spikes v feet

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Speaker cabinets - spikes v feet

Unread post by Berty bass »

As a bass player of some years it occurs to me that there are similarities between my requirements as a bassist and my requirements as a hi fi enthusiast - basically, the amplification of a source (bass guitar, CD or LP in my case) as faithfully/neutrally as possible through a speaker capable of similarly faithful/neutral reproduction. It's the differences therefore that fascinate me - why do we tend to use spikes to isolate hi fi speakers but (usually rubber) feet to do the same job for guitar cabs when they both perform the same function? Is it simply tradition or is there a technical reason? Feet seem so much more practical and less potentially damaging than spikes.

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Speaker cabinets - spikes v feet

Unread post by Latteman »

Often wondered the same and run felt pads on my speaker stands with no difference in sound detected from spikes- interesting experiment
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There is no right or wrong answer. Only your answer.

It's like a wife . Individual and your choice isn't going to be someone else's.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Spikes dont isolate the speaker they couple the speaker to the surface it is stood on. This gives the vibration of the cabinet a path out of the cabinet and into the surface. A drain if you like.

A compliant foot such as a rubber foot or a soft felt pad decouples (isolates) the speaker from the surface it is stood on so there is not a path for cabinet vibration to leave the cab and travel into the surface it is stood on.

Different cabinets will behave differently, some will be better with spikes, some with feet.

There is a big difference between isolating and coupling, spikes do not isolate anything. They do the opposite
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Berty bass
Great Britain

Interesting - why would we want to couple a hi-fi speaker to a surface then, but isolate a guitar cabinet? Surely we essentially want the speaker in both cases to do the same thing - reproduce the signal as faithfully as possible? You wouldn't to couple any speaker to a wooden or hollow floor...would you?

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I have thought about this in the past.

As a former bass player, my attitude was always “stack the speakers, plug in the amp and get playing”. When it came to hifi, I was as anal as anybody else about spikes and rigidity. Now I have cube 3s on stands that move a little bit and I couldn’t care less. The music is wonderful and I’m happy. I suppose that it’s another horses for courses situation but don’t get paranoid about spikes v feet. Whatever works for you is the right solution.

My gut feeling is that musicians don’t really care about coupling or decoupling. The sound pressure from a 15” and 8” speaker stack is never going to be reproduced by a domestic speaker. I think that we just have to accept that a “stereo” is never going to be as good as live music.
Last edited by Stemcor1990 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

If it is coupled to a surface the mass of that surface adds to the mass of the cabinet and has its own vibration absorption characteristics. Spiking a cabinet into a concrete floor means that the cab vibration is dissipated into the mass of the floor. Into a wooden suspended floor does the same, but the floor itsself can add undesirable noises.
The cab vibration will eventually find its way down the joists and out into the house foundations but it is not nearly as efficient. As a concrete floor is a solid mass it just swallows up cab vibrations.
Alot of mags used to say to stand speakers on a paving slab, there is some merit to this as it couples the cab into a large mass. But not all speakers will work with this approach and will respond better to using compliant feet. Its impractical to spike a guitar amp cab, not many venue owners are likely to be impressed with their stages getting carved up by spikes, and it is potentially dangerous to people moving kit about. Bands are nothing if not practical when it comes to setting up.

It wouldnt do for someone to carve their hand foot leg whatever up chucking an amp in a van.
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Berty bass
Great Britain

Fair comment! :)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I think it depends on the speaker itself, its rigidity and mass and so on and so on. I still remember the severe cabinet damage done to dem stock when they were sat on double-spiked stands (top into the speaker and bottom into the floor). Isobariks, which weigh about a hundredweight each, used to sit on 'top spikes' and after a few months, the spikes pushed their way up to their shoulders into the cabinets. My ATC's weighed 85Kg each and didn't need spikes at all, as they just didn't move! The crap I currently use downstairs isn't spiked and frankly, it makes no bloody difference to these...

I think it's reasonable to suggest the speakers shouldn't wobble all over the place, but to use common sense. Spikes can help with floors covered in carpet and underlay, but contemporary floors with bare floors and a rug or two probably don't need this as much as long as the speaker and/or stand is stable.

I still sit my speaker boxes on clear 12mm diameter (3mm approx high) bump-on feet which offer grip and no sonic degradation that I could ever hear. made ex-dem speakers more sellable too I remember... Blu-tac gets into wood grain and you can't get it out I found.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

davjam13
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by davjam13 »

For what it's worth I have my speakers sat on sorbothane disks about 35mm thick to decouple from the stands, and the stands in turn spiked into the wooden floor through the carpet, without the spikes the stands swayed about to much for my liking. Speakers are now Cubettes.
Cleardio performance D.C.Turntable MCRU PSU Clearaudio Clarify arm Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony MM cartridge
Project cd box DS
pioneer vsx 531
interrconnects all Nva ssc
Nva ls3 biwire speaker cable
Linn Tukans front
monitor audio radius centre