Modern speaker brands that make the BEST music

All general audio posts go here.
Berty bass
Great Britain

Re: Modern speaker brands that make the BEST music

Unread post by Berty bass »

[/quote]
I found the ATC SCM11's disappointing when I heard them with a Hegel 360 amp in a bake off againts AVI DM10's with a sub and EV Sentry III's with a Korneff clone SET and then a Creek 4040 amp. Too crude and with too much of the bass filtered out.
[/quote]

Interesting. I have had some SMC19's on home dem and was confidently expecting to be bowled over, but I also found them a bit bass light for my tastes. My problem is that my listening room (i.e. living room) is quite small, with the left hand speaker effectively boxed in between the side of the chimney breast and my LP rack, so finding a smaller speaker that will fit aesthetically that also offers the scale and depth of presentation I'm looking for is proving difficult. The Regas have been the closest so far but I'm sure there's others out there I should be listening to also. Those Klipsch Heresy III's look interesting. I've also seriously been considering having something built for me around a couple of very high quality full range drivers but, again, I don't really know where to start. All this choice with my limited knowledge is not a helpful combination!

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:08 am At Owston 2018 there were some musical DIY'd speakers. Or speakers that were musical for the amount spent on them.
Surely they were either musical, or not ?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Berty bass wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am

Interesting. I have had some SMC19's on home dem and was confidently expecting to be bowled over, but I also found them a bit bass light for my tastes. My problem is that my listening room (i.e. living room) is quite small, with the left hand speaker effectively boxed in between the side of the chimney breast and my LP rack, so finding a smaller speaker that will fit aesthetically that also offers the scale and depth of presentation I'm looking for is proving difficult. The Regas have been the closest so far but I'm sure there's others out there I should be listening to also. Those Klipsch Heresy III's look interesting. I've also seriously been considering having something built for me around a couple of very high quality full range drivers but, again, I don't really know where to start. All this choice with my limited knowledge is not a helpful combination!
If you are anywhere the North East...pop over some time for a listen to the Heresys and Cube 1s.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am If you are anywhere the North East...pop over some time for a listen to the Heresys and Cube 1s.
Very kind - thank you. Being a resident of the North West I don't get up to your neck of the woods as much as I'd like but I really appreciate the offer.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Lindsayt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 am
Berty bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm What's the view on ATC? I like the sound of a company who make their own drivers, and whose drivers are so often used by others.
I found the ATC SCM11's disappointing when I heard them with a Hegel 360 amp in a bake off againts AVI DM10's with a sub and EV Sentry III's with a Korneff clone SET and then a Creek 4040 amp. Too crude and with too much of the bass filtered out.

Active ATC 50's are one of those speakers that I can understand why they are loved by their owners, but they're not for me - mainly because too often they don't put a smile on my face when listening to music on them.
The current 100A's do - oh yes indeedy :grin: The price is the huge downer now, so my goal is now the JBL 100A II's when they arrive, or the 4429's I heard and loved recently - https://www.speakershack.co.uk/articleR ... ecord=1653 I heard a pair with a large Emotiva power amp and suspect something more subtle and musical like an NVA may well suit them much better. They're incredibly clear and their lively personality is seamless from bass to top I felt - easy listening they definitely ain't...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I listened to the JBL L100 at the weekend. Are they the same ones?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The originals to me, squawked and screeched and no amount of adjustment or positioning could fix it - the L65 Jubal was my favourite back then. By the late 90's, the short-lived 4311mk2 (I think that's the monika, but this model has had several name changes in its life) had a much refined crossover, mid driver and tweeter but didn't take the fun away I recall. The current L100mk2 looks like the original with the funky foam fronts, but has the new drivers and setup inside I believe as the 4412SE -

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/

I don't yet know the current articles, but now regret not buying the pro 4412C twenty years ago when they were around £1300 inc VAT trade.. I think the current ones are the thick end of three grand retail. The 4329 is six grand I think.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...