All general audio posts go here.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
karatestu
Great Britain

Soggy sonics

Unread post by karatestu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Sat at the farm this afternoon and it is literally pussing it down.

Could be my imagination but my sound system seems to sound better when its raining :shifty: I am waiting for the first person to come along and say its all :Bllocks:
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Soggy sonics

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Another bloody memory - Jimmy H had a humidifier in his room on many of my Sunday visits there back in the day right since the early 80's.

Certainly not bollocks at all - our ears and minds are sensitive to all manner of things, which is why I don't particularly trust mine at all, even though they're all I have to enjoy music by ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Not bollocks. I had Quad ESL57 nearly 40 years ago, highly modified by me. One of the tricks to make them really sing was to get the ironing or rose spray set on very fine and spray the speaker, they suddenly open up, mostly apparent if it is dry central heating type atmosphere normally.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Good to know i am not going mad then. Must get me a humidifier
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Just use a rose spray when you listen.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 pm

You know this will only start a debate on the different sonic abilities of tap v bottle v distilled.
Analogue Source-ARB Turntable & 10” dual pivot arm, Dynavector 10x5, Nva Phono 1 / Schiit Mani
Digital Sources- Sony CDP770 & Apple Box3 to Beresford TC7510, iPhone 4s to music only WiFi
Amplification-NVA P50 & 2x A20
Speakers-Diy Cubes; Mid/bass- LS5; Tweeter- Ls1
SSC throughout

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm

MCRU to launch the 'Ultimate' water spray?
"The one who would whistle to Throbbing Gristle through harsh times in Umberstone Covert."

HiFi Foo Fight Blog
NVA BMU / WTL Versalex / Transfiguration Axia /NVA Phono2 w/ 2nd PSU / GSP Revelation C / Vortexbox Appliance NAS Server / Sonore microRendu USB streamer w/ LPSU / Chord 2Qute USB dac / NVA P90sa / NVA A80MK2 (bass) / NVA A70 MK2 (tweeters) / NVA Cube 1 / NVA TIS MK1 / NVA SSPMK2 / NVA LS6 / NVA AP10H (& 1x additional PS) / Audeze LCD-2

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:48 am

Latteman wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 pm
You know this will only start a debate on the different sonic abilities of tap v bottle v distilled.
Right in the middle of the whole Peter Belt saga (if you don't know what I'm on about, then you really don't NEED to know ;)), I visited Jimmy with a pal who was a GP and well aware of psychology in these things. Jimmy played some music, then went briefly into the kitchen behind us and on his return, played the same piece. we thought we could hear a slight difference. He went back for a few seconds, returned and played again... After doing this a few times and apparently hearing 'something' change each time, we asked what he'd done, to be shown he had a few (tightly capped) bottles of 'polarised water' (don't ask - PLEASE) in his meter box cupboard and was taking them in and out each time. Psychology or not (Jimmy's a really lovely chap really), this was really weird. Nothing to do with varying humidity in the air though, but the way we 'feel' in certain physical and atmospheric situations MUST surely make a difference to how well we perceive the music.

Daniel Quinn
Nicaragua

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 am

Far simpler explanation
Even a stroke didn't result in me liking AOS