Windsor HIFI Show

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There 16k . I would expect them to be good.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Actually they're even more than that with the bottom bass sections as we were listening to them, well out of my budget!
They were impressive though and, as we all know, a big price tag certainly isn't a guarantee of great sound.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

The top modules are £10K. The controller is £1K. Don't think there is a defined price for the BXT Bass Module yet, but have seen £10K mooted.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And what justifies that price apart from greed and slurp.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

George Hincapie wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm
zebbo wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am Yep, me and a couple of friends are going on Saturday.
More often than not pretty underwhelmed with the sounds produced but still like to see and fiddle with all the expensive stuff. :grin:
I might go then and meet up with you then if that's OK? I'll PM you my mobile number.

Quite keen to listen to the Hugo TT2 and MScaler. Also the Kii Audio 3.
Did you hear the MScaler?
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

George Hincapie

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 pm And what justifies that price apart from greed and slurp.
For me, their performance. Frankly astounding.

George Hincapie

CN211276 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm
George Hincapie wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm
zebbo wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am Yep, me and a couple of friends are going on Saturday.
More often than not pretty underwhelmed with the sounds produced but still like to see and fiddle with all the expensive stuff. :grin:
I might go then and meet up with you then if that's OK? I'll PM you my mobile number.

Quite keen to listen to the Hugo TT2 and MScaler. Also the Kii Audio 3.
Did you hear the MScaler?
Yes, but in difficult conditions. It was in the Chord room feeding a Hugo TT2. Source was an Innuos Zenith. Used my NightHawks but the background noise was ridiculous (hideous sounding £100K Chord Reference system playing).

I can't say I really heard them perform properly; trying to form a judgement by listening inbetween main system tracks was a fool's errand. Will reserve judgement until I am able to listen to them in the correct environment.

Very nice looking devices though, beautifully made and pleasing to the eye.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then all I can say is more fool you as no Class D can ever perform musically in the long term, they are inherently flawed. It is sad if you think they will out perform what you have.

There is nothing that can be done to a Class D to do more than initially impress, it is the way with them. On top of that you say the speakers are a WAF design with a string of small drivers, again impossible. BUT people are individuals they make their own choices.

I am not blind I have been at this for a very long time and Class D and WAF will never satisfy a music lover AND UNDERSTANDER in the long term, tinsel is all you will have, well it is Christmas I suppose.

There are so many con jobs being perpetrated at these shows obviously, lets impress, lets bling, lets make things sound better by screwing the comparison, it is obviously a new marketing game being played.

But more important lets set fantasy prices and then try and justify them. I am sad for the hobby if this is the direction it is going

George Hincapie

I haven't had a pair in my home, so I have no idea how they'd compare to my current components in my setting. At the Show, they sounded amazing in less than ideal conditions. I like them.

There's nothing wrong with listening to new things and keeping an open mind is there?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Nothing at all, the same as there is nothing wrong with me telling you the truth. I am far more annoyed by that balanced con though.

My annoyance was at justifying 20 odd k£ was that it sounds good, it is a total fecking rip-off, I really don't care how good it sounds. It is the death of our hobby the way this is going, and if manufacturers and dealers are allowed to get away with it without reality and truth being spoken then I fear for this hobby. I am now thinking my manipulation off Wigwam is for this very reason THEY DON'T WANT THE TRUTH there are too many people with their noses in the trough, slurp slurp.

AND both of the recent subjects there that caused my demise were WAF and Balanced.