Windsor HIFI Show

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Anyone going? There's a few things I want to have a listen to.

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by zebbo »

Yep, me and a couple of friends are going on Saturday.
More often than not pretty underwhelmed with the sounds produced but still like to see and fiddle with all the expensive stuff. :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Could you take and post pic's please?
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just full of bling overpriced bollocks - I wouldn't waste my time. But i suppose it is like going to a car show and staring at Ferrari etc. Difference is they have things in them and performance that justifies the cost, not so with our industry bling, it is just slurp.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I think it was that show last year that Tim Jarman had a selection of cheap as chips vintage gear on demo and for all it's faults it made a sound you could sit and listen to, unlike a lot upstairs.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

George Hincapie

zebbo wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am Yep, me and a couple of friends are going on Saturday.
More often than not pretty underwhelmed with the sounds produced but still like to see and fiddle with all the expensive stuff. :grin:
I might go then and meet up with you then if that's OK? I'll PM you my mobile number.

Quite keen to listen to the Hugo TT2 and MScaler. Also the Kii Audio 3.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes, sounds like a plan George, would be nice to meet up.

George Hincapie

Back from the show. Impressions and images after dinner.

Spent ages talking to Zebbo; a super decent chap. We listened to some great systems and some utter shite too.

A good day TBH :guiness;

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Was indeed a good day, that threw up a couple of surprises!
Was great to chat to our fiend George over a, very reasonably priced, cup of coffee.
Most of the equipment on dem was, as expected, not my cup-of-tea but there were a couple of rooms that I liked - (and you're going to hate this Doc ! :lol: )
The first was the little Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A's. They were making some very reasonable music that I was happy to sit and listen to. Those tiny wee boxes always amaze me with the scale of their reproduction, not perfect but still enjoyable.
The big shocker was the Kii Audio 3 speakers. They are everything I usually despise in a speaker - multiple drivers powered with separate class D amps and with DSP signal processing - a sure fire recipe for disaster but I was spellbound! Sure they were REALLY impressive with electronic music from Kraftwerk and Yello(?) but what surprised me was that they could also sound musical. Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong sounded hair-raisingly good. They reminded me of electrostatics in some ways but not quite so effortless. Very impressive and I really liked them! What a shock.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I never hate peoples personal choices or the right to have them, I hate sometimes what they choose :naughty:

Good class D works in dems and impresses as the circuit does some thing very well, but live with it, then I doubt it, that is where they always fall down. Often people can't even put their finger on it - they are just wrong.