Windsor HIFI Show

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Windsor HIFI Show

Unread post by zebbo »

I really don't care if there was a bloody hamster spinning in it's wheel making them work, I liked them, and that's more than can be said of most of the kit there. :)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A hamster spinning its wheel would probably make better music. It is twinkly thumping and appealing, so it got you hooked, you are not the first nor the last, but it is a con. If you can get any of it home for a long terms listen then everything will become apparent.

Remember Linn had Linn music, and that is all that sounded right, classical fell apart. This is very similar, they (the makers of it) are very selective in what they use to demonstrate Class D, where it works well is for home cinema, boom tizz wallop and impress, it is all it is good for, musical hi-fi, no way.

Clean like washed with bleach, all the feeling taken away. Opposite to a single ended valve amp.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Class D strikes me as a cheap way of making amplifiers. Can get away without using heavy transformers which must also make transport cheaper. I remember Trichord did monoblocks (based on B&O technology I think) which supposedly replaced the excellent Alecto (formerly Michell). These disappeared after a couple of years. Still hoping someone sees sense and brings back the Alecto. Trichord still do upgrade boards to mkII level.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Lots of good amps have disappeared as the bling and bullshit take over. In this case it is bling, zing bang whack, and WAF - what is there not to like :roll:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Those that liked it at the show think I am having a go at them, I am not, it is easy to be pulled into the class D thing. I am saying don't make presumptions until you live with it. In the past that was easy because they were cheap Chinese boxes, so easy to buy and throw away or sell on, but the Bling merchants have now got hold of it, same *cheap* thing and blinged it up, so now it costs a fortune to try it.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

You can still get the cheap chinese boxes and some UK assembled ones (direct sell). There must be a lot of air in those bling boxes. Another thing i've noticed were there is a choice between class D and A/B (Rotel is an example), you get higher power ratings with the class D. I assume this makes people think they are better.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)